Transcoding need much time to start (3.0.5768.7)

Schimi

HI,

if i want play a movie which has to be transcoded (Browser or any App) it take sometimes a few min to start...

the "Ressourcenmonitor" (don´t know the name in English :-)) shows me that the ffmpeg process in reading much data (looks like he reads the whole file) and after that (a 20GB File needs some time to be completely read) the transcoding process begins and i can show the movie..

at this time the Browser shows the backdrop and the OSD but nothing happen.... The Emby App (Win10 Store) shows a screen that the file couldn´t be rad and i can click on "retry"... if i click in the right time he plays the file...

The logs shows the first file that i play.... This movie bean show "normally" and the second file needs a couple of minutes to play....

I can reproduce this on a couple of files...

if you need more input then tell me :-)

I´ve seen this issue in the previous builds on my Movies with > 4 hour length... and i think that happend because of the length

server-63581822600.txt

transcode-64e8143f-f7a4-4324-9fb4-2bf0144cacf9.txt

transcode-a05d1e5f-4219-4d66-b4ae-ffe57388e69f.txt

jhoff80

I've seen this as well, where it'll take a long time (sometimes up to five minutes) before the ffmpeg process even starts so that transcoding can begin.

I was having other issues though, so I decided to wipe out my install and now I'm currently rebuilding my library so I can't provide logs myself.

You right... the one has subs and the other no....

Is this the reason why the one need so long?

Then i maybe do a recode and burn in the subs... have to look at first how.... don't want to loose to much quality (in my lan it works fine)

Deathsquirrel

You right... the one has subs and the other no....

Is this the reason why the one need so long?

Then i maybe do a recode and burn in the subs... have to look at first how.... don't want to loose to much quality (in my lan it works fine)

Transcoding to burn in internal subs is a CPU-sucking beast I'm told.  You can either use external subs or do the burn in outside Emby.  I use handbrake to do my encodes and always burn the foreign language track, if there is one.  That's the sub track that contains the text for things like the Star Wars aliens that don't speak English when everything else in the film is in English.

bondfreak

So are these slow starts caused by activated subtitles during playback or just because they are inside the file? i also have issues where movies sometimes need 5 minutes to playback.

ok..

.. i´ve done some testing...

it´s really depends on subtitle.... If i deactivate the subtitle in the user settings... then it starts "instantly"...

that workaround is good for me.... i deactivated the subtitle on the "streaming user accounts" and informed them why and how to edit it....

now my family could decide himself wait...and forced subs or no subs and fast starts :-)

mostly the forced subtitle are not really important...

bondfreak

i have also tested and came up with the same result. as long as subtitles are disabled for the user, the playback will start instantly in most cases.

however, i have a few files that still need some time before the actual playback starts. could not figure out why yet. is there anything else beside the subtitles that could cause emby to delay the playback? maybe the browser i use? my client is OSX 10.11.1 Safari.

Edited by bondfreak