Chromecast streaming uses local address

deads2k

I have connected to the emby server with the android app using 192.168.143.25. The local address for emby server seems to immutable and it is set to 172.17.0.44. The 172 address is not routable from the Chromecast.

When I try to stream to the Chromecast, it tries to use the 172 address. Setting a DNAT rule in my router's iptables prerouting filter chain to force 172.17.0.43 to route to 192.168.143.25 allows the Chromecast to work.

How can I make the Chromecast streaming URL use the address in the android app or how can I set the local address on the emby server?

well we actually pull the address from the server because a fair amount of people will connect to the server using the server's machine name rather than ip. and chromecast can't resolve that. but i suppose we can improve it to not do that if the app's connection is via an ip address

I'm fine with the android client pulling an address from the server.  Is there a way for me override the local address that the emby server reports so that I can set it a routable name?  A config file where I can change it would suffice.  I'm just not terribly familiar with config layout.  "Settings > Server > Dashboard > Server Information > Local address"

at the moment no, you can only override the external address. there hasn't been a need to override the lan address to this point. i think it is better in the app anyway because it will just work without having to configure anything.

Ok, glad I didn't miss it in `config/system.xml`.  Any advice for me in the time being or am I stuck maintaining a weird DNAT rule?  Should I open a github issue?

you can open a github issue so that you can follow it. yea unfortunately you might be stuck until then.