MB in Windows 8.1

ReconPJ

When installing and trying to run MB in Win 8.1, it is asking for a hostname above port 8096.  Where is this hostname generated from?

ScottIsAFool

This is the machine name or IP address of the computer running the MB3 server. 

The restriction should be made more clear, yes. Thanks for beta testing the install process and improving it for the next guy  :)

WarrenH

The restriction should be made more clear, yes. Thanks for beta testing the install process and improving it for the next guy  :)

LOL - no worries - but I paid for it so it's a commercial product and it doesn't do what it says on the tin

I'll do the loopback workaround though can't honestly leave decent feedback in the store

Thanks all for your quick responses; Luke, EBR

WarrenH

My computer is indicated as:

IP Address Host Name MAC Address 192.168.2.8 Haydocks-Main 80:EE:73:2E:EF:25

However, the Win app won't connect to either the IP or Host Name. Port 8096 is open on my router as I can connect with the Android app. Any help?

As an aside - whilst I have decent PC knowledge albeit don't know too much about networking, I must comment that asking the ordinary person who buys the app for this kind of information without giving any clue or hints, is really badly implemented. I would assume that most users have minimal computer experience and this is going t lead to huge frustration and complaints. Just my thoughts to an otherwise great product - well when I get is going...

7illusions

I've just submitted an updated app description that says that the server has to be installed on a REMOTE machine..
It kind of sucks though since there are valid workarounds for this restriction.. I'm 99.9% sure though that it's not allowed to promote workarounds fot the built in Windows Restrictions.

Are you outside your local network?

If so, you will need to use your external IP address and configure your router appropriately - but this should be the same as the Android app.

@@7illusions Can you use the UDP discovery to find a server on the local network automatically?

7illusions

@@ebr There's an issue in Windows 8.1 together with certain Intel WiFi chips which causes a crash in Win32 when doing udp broadcasting. I've disabled this functionality until MS or Intel provides a fix.

7illusions

When installing and trying to run MB in Win 8.1, it is asking for a hostname above port 8096.  Where is this hostname generated from?

Depending on if you wanna access the media for external use or not there are different 2 approaches.

Internal access is by far the easiest to find out.

On the machine running the server, open up a command prompt and type "ipconfig" and hit enter.

What you're looking for is the IPv4 Addess. That's your host.

External access takes a little bit more know how, and if that is you goal let us know and we'll do what we can to sort it out.

WarrenH

I'm inside my network, wired connection. The MB3 Server is on Haydocks-Main - my main pc which is wired to my router.

MB3 Classic - on the same Haydocks-Main computer works without issue - in fact it has the option to detect server automatically - why not then the Win 8 App? I can connect to the server from my android app both internally using the IP address wirelessly, as well as externally thru my DynDns IP address through wifi and 3G.

"@7illusions Can you use the UDP discovery to find a server on the local network automatically? " Sorry - don't know what this means

IPConfig shows me 192.168.2.8 which is what my router is telling me is the address for Haydocks-Main

Edited by WarrenH

WarrenH

Thnx EBR, noted re auto detect - I'll await @7 re not connecting

529f8636aad29_1.jpg529f8722a86b5_2.jpg

Edited by WarrenH

Even if that's not warren's issue, the loopback limitation should be made clear to avoid frustrations.

WarrenH

@@WarrenH Aha. That is not really allowed for winrt apps.

BUT, everything is possible to solve.

have a look at this.

http://loopback.codeplex.com/

I'm not running RT - it's WIn8.1 full - as said MB3 Classic runs on the same machine same server no issues

Am I to assume from your response that I should download the LoopBackManager and find MB App and allow as an exclusion?

Edited by WarrenH

I'm not running RT - it's WIn8.1 full - as said MB3 Classic runs on the same machine same server no issues

The app is still an RT app though and is still limited to RT restrictions.

I did test using the loopback program and I enabled the Mediabrowser App.

After that i was able to type localhost as the server, and everything worked fine.

Maybe we can have some instructions on how to run it locally, but I agree that this is a Microsoft limitation, that we have to do a work around.

Also keep in mind that you have to remember to run the loopback application before the RT app and select the app that you want to allow local access. I don't belive that there is a way to start the loopback app and select the right app at startup. You can run the loopback app at startup, but you still to manually allow the app each time.

What if the instructions for the workaround are kept here like any other instructions.

• Like 1

An option to get this working locally without using the loopback program is to configure your router to send all external traffic on port 8096 to your internal IP.

Then configure MediaBroswer app to your external IP and you're in business.

• 1 year later...

Bumping because I just ran into this. I see now where the product description was updated to include the warning, however, Microsoft's Store design makes this information not obvious.  I run Windows 8.1 on my HTPC that also runs MediaBrowser Server. It would be great if you could roll a loopback exception option into the Server app, so this is easy to resolve.