Emby on external hardisk

trumxhden

trumxhden

Hi everyone,

I have a question about mobile media source. Is there any way that I can have all my media (movies, music, etc.) on an external hard disk with everything set up by Emby server on a computer so that I can play them later on another computer with that external hard disk plugged in?

I did some searching on Emby website and forum and it seems to me that Emby should only work with one server, means that everything must be put on that one and only server and any other machine always streams media from that server. It would be not very convenient to always stream media while we can play them directly from the source you bring, not to create more traffic on the network..

Hope that it is not really the way Emby works :) May be I misread something somewhere? :D

Best

Edited by trumxhden

legallink

As far as I am aware, the server component is much more complex and operating system integrated to be able to be "installed" on a removable drive. You can have your media on the external hard drive and emby installed on each computer and move the media from one computer to the next, but the whole point of emby is to stream media.

It's very easy to simply organize and play local media to the local machine. There are a lot of programs that do that (Windows media, iTunes, etc). Emby would be overkill for that. Especially since you need Emby server and it is designed to then also have an end client which plays the files. They do have the web interface, but that is a default per se, and not the intended only option.

Additionally, Emby requires drive letter/folder mapping for media location which might be problematic if your external drive has a different letter on one machine vs the other machine.

However, if you had the entire OS on the removable drive, you could also have Emby and your media on it and just go from machine to machine in the fashion.

P.s. There are several people that do a multi server install on here (I am not one of them).

Edited by legallink