Coming Soon - Photos

ebr

Two of the major features still missing from this app are Music and Photos.  I chose to do photos first because it is a smaller piece of work that I could get out and it has been a while since there was an update due to Luke and I working on lots of "behind the scenes" stuff lately.

So, photos are coming very soon and music will follow (at a time yet to be determined) but I know the very first question people will ask about photos is if they can play music with them.  Well, eventually, yes but not until there is general music support in the app.

So, without further ado - here is what actually is coming soon...

We already have the grid view which works really well with photos.  What was missing was anything underneath that.

562fcb9d2d0f8_photogrid1.png

So, now, when you select one of these you will get that photo presented in full-screen.

562fcbce4cb0b_photofull.png

So now you are saying "really, that's it...?"  Well, no, of course not :).

Pressing the left or right arrow on your remote will transition you nicely to the next or previous photo within the folder you just came from (limited by the speed at which the photos can be loaded at full resolution from your server).

But wait, there's more...

Pressing "Play" on your remote will launch you into a slide show that will transition among the photos in order starting from the one on which you pressed "Play".  This photo slide show will have nice fade transitions and even has a full Ken Burns Effect.  It is very similar to the standard screen saver on the Fire TV.

You can also press "play" from the grid view and it will open the full screen view and start the slide show from there.

While the slide show is playing you can quickly advance to the next item by pressing the right arrow on your remote and the show will continue on.  If, instead, you press the left arrow, it will go to the previous photo and stop the slide show (assuming you wanted to take a longer look at that one).  Then you can just press "play" again to resume.

But wait, there's more...

Suppose you are in this full-screen view and maybe even playing the slide show and you want to peek ahead or behind and find a specific photo.  Press the up or down arrow on your remote and a thumb view will pop up.

562fcd8fd7b88_photothumbs.png

You can move throughout the entire folder contents in this thumb view and find the specific photo you want.  At that point selecting it will bring it up in full screen and hitting "play" will start the slide show from that point.

But wait... no, actually, that's it.  This will be making its way to the beta testers today and, hopefully, to general release very soon after that.

Please let me know what you think.  Thanks.

• Like 7

All sounds great to me! If we have photo names will they be displayed?

Not yet because I haven't figured out the best way to handle that since the vast majority of photos will be named something like DSC_1234.

I think maybe displaying the date taken may be more reliable and useful.

• Like 2

Spaceboy

Not yet because I haven't figured out the best way to handle that since the vast majority of photos will be named something like DSC_1234.

I think maybe displaying the date taken may be more reliable and useful.

sorry, not the file name, the photo name. its called title or maybe caption in windows. its already imported into the server fine and displays in web client and roku iirc. the field is called photo name

Edited by Spaceboy

arrbee99

Not sure if I'm brave enough yet, be how would I actually join / get the beta version of this ? Do you actively invite people ? Were is it actually available (for FireTV in my case). Apologies if I missed (a no doubt perfectly obvious) how to thread.

sorry, not the file name, the photo name. its called title or maybe caption in windows. its already imported into the server fine and displays in web client and roku iirc. the field is called photo name

Right, but it is imported into our "Name" field, right?  And that will fall back to the file name if the photo tag wasn't there.  So, I'm just not sure how useful that would be.

In any case, that will be for a second iteration of this functionality.  I'd like to get the basics out soon assuming nothing horribly wrong is found by the beta testers.

Not sure if I'm brave enough yet, be how would I actually join / get the beta version of this ? Do you actively invite people ? Were is it actually available (for FireTV in my case). Apologies if I missed (a no doubt perfectly obvious) how to thread.

It is an open program on Google but Amazon is invite only.  My suggestion is just to wait a few days and hopefully this will be generally available.

Spaceboy

Right, but it is imported into our "Name" field, right? And that will fall back to the file name if the photo tag wasn't there. So, I'm just not sure how useful that would be.

In any case, that will be for a second iteration of this functionality. I'd like to get the basics out soon assuming nothing horribly wrong is found by the beta testers.

Ok didn't know that, I've given all of mine names

arrbee99

It is an open program on Google but Amazon is invite only.  My suggestion is just to wait a few days and hopefully this will be generally available.

Roger. Wilco.

Nathanio

Hi ebr, 

Will you be able to do a random selection of photos and will you be able to use it as a screensaver?

One of the things I loved about using WMC as a TV instead of the TV itself, was the fact it brought up a grid view of photos (with their date - arguably more useful than the name) and scroll through them in a random order.

We'd see lots of different photos (my collection is around 450GB - damn RAW files and 24MP camera!) of the kids, thru honeymoon or airshows. 

Looking forward to trying it out.  

• Like 1

Hi ebr, 

Will you be able to do a random selection of photos and will you be able to use it as a screensaver?

The post above details everything that is possible right now.