Client force Scan-Media-Library upon startup?

jwill

Is there a way for the client to force Scan-Media-Library whenever the client starts? Does the server provide an interface for the client to do this?

The reason I am asking is that MBS does not seem to pick up any new additions on my machine until a Scan-Media-Library is run. I guess this is because MBS is accessing my media libraries over a network share rather than local drives. I've already set MBS to run a scan every 15 minutes, but sometimes when I am in the client I am impatient and that is not quick enough (and I do not want to go into the server to force a scan).

With MB2, whenever I wanted to force a scan, I just exited MB2 to WMC, then went back into MB2, and then MB2 would scan and pick up the changes.

It would be nice if I could do the same thing to force a scan with MBC.

Just use the record button and it will do a refresh of whatever you are on. This also work in mb2 BTW

I don't want to refresh an item. I want to see new content just added.

Edited by jwill
  • Like 1

dansblackcat

I don't want to refresh an item. I want to see new content just added.

I think I have a similar issue to you.  I constantly have to exit MBC and re-enter it before I see any newly added content?

I think I have a similar issue to you.  I constantly have to exit MBC and re-enter it before I see any newly added content?

That is not the issue I have. That is what I want. Exiting MBC and coming back does not force Scan-Media-Library command on the server, which is what I need to have happen for new content to be picked up on my system.

MB2 would show new content if I exited it and came back. But MBC is not so helpful on my system in this regard.

pennywise

That is not the issue I have. That is what I want. Exiting MBC and coming back does not force Scan-Media-Library command on the server, which is what I need to have happen for new content to be picked up on my system.

MB2 would show new content if I exited it and came back. But MBC is not so helpful on my system in this regard.

I use the record button for this exact reason to force a scan of a certain series for an episode I just added.

dansblackcat

Shouldn't new content appear automatically without exiting MBC or using the record button?

Edited by dansblackcat

I use the record button for this exact reason to force a scan of a certain series for an episode I just added.

No, that is not "this exact reason". As I said, I do not want to refresh a certain item or series. I want to scan for any new content added in any media library.

Shouldn't new content appear automatically without exiting MBC or using the record button?

It would be nice if it did, but it never has for me, even with MB2. As I explained in my OP, I think this is because MB cannot detect changes automatically for content shared over the network. It appears to only detect new content in network shares if I force the Scan-Media-Library task to run on the server.

dansblackcat

It would be nice if it did, but it never has for me, even with MB2. As I explained in my OP, I think this is because MB cannot detect changes automatically for content shared over the network. It appears to only detect new content in network shares if I force the Scan-Media-Library task to run on the server.

Sometimes mine does automatically display new content without having to exit MBC, which is what made me think that it was meant to always do it.  

I thought the server was meant to talk to the client and vice versa?  I really don't know I'm just guessing.

I think you might have a firewall or websocket issue.  I've read about similar issues before...I think on the old forum

Edited by dansblackcat

Sometimes mine does automatically display new content without having to exit MBC, which is what made me think that it was meant to always do it. 

I'm not getting my point across to you. I'll try one more time.

MBS is supposed to detect new content automatically, and presumably MBC is notified by MBS when that happens.

But the automatic detection by MBS does not work well over a network share like I have (I assume it would work fine if your content was stored on drives directly connected to the server machine). I'm not a Windows programmer, but my understanding is that Windows can be set up to automatically detect changes on local filesystems and notify the program that requested monitoring. But that does not work over a network share (at least, not over my network share, which is a linux fileserver running samba).

dansblackcat

Ahh, now I'm with you.  I thought your server and network shared folders were on the same machine.

I used to have my media drives on a separate PC to my server and client machines and it behaved exactly as it does now that I have them on the same PC.  Sometimes works sometimes doesn't.

Maybe it's a Windows / Linux issue?  I really couldn't say as I've never used it.

Edited by dansblackcat

Maybe it's a Windows / Linux issue?  I really couldn't say as I've never used it.

I don't think it is that. I have all my content on a NAS that runs linux and it detects things immediately upon dropping a file onto it. Maybe it is a Samba thing.

I don't think it is that. I have all my content on a NAS that runs linux and it detects things immediately upon dropping a file onto it. Maybe it is a Samba thing.

Huh? What is your linux NAS running if not Samba?

Edited by jwill

Huh? What is your linux NAS running if not Samba?

Yeah looking into it, I think it is Samba running. They just don't call it that, but I think it is the underlying program. I don't have any problems with it auto-detecting things in my setup.

Note that it is actually an MBS issue that new files are not being recognized until I force the Scan-Media-Library task to run. But that is not what this thread was meant to be about (I may start a thread about that in the MBS forum).

This thread is just a request to add an option to MBC so that when it starts up, it forces the Scan-Media-Library task to run on the server.

By the way, while I was doing some experiments to see what new files MBS will automatically detect, I found a strange bug in MBC. It is intermittent so I cannot say exactly what triggers it, but it seems to be most often triggered by removing a file that was listed in the "last added" part of the top media-library screen. It also sometimes triggers when I add a new file that gets listed in that same area.

The problem is that the thumbnails for the episodes go away and all I get is a gradient:

smUMC5Z.png

Exiting MBC into WMC and coming back in brings the usual thumbnails back.

Edited by jwill

This button on the config page will cause a server scan.  The server got a little worse at picking new things up with the last release or so and I think we will be re-improving it.

529f3e78d63da_libupdate.png

This button on the config page will cause a server scan. 

I tested it, and it does indeed force a server scan which then recognizes my new content.

However, for some reason MBC does not add it to the "last added" display. MBC does show the new content notification pop-up, but I need to exit MBC and reenter for it to show it on the "last added" display.

Also, it takes a lot more remote-control keystrokes to use that update button than it does to just exit MBC and reenter it, which only takes 2 keystrokes: [previous][select]. The update button takes a minimum of 8 keystrokes: [down][select][up]

[select][ok][previous]

So it would still be nice if MBC had a checkbox option to automatically force a server update whenever MBC starts up.

Edited by jwill

I don't want to put in a hack to get around something the server should be doing already.  We'll get it sorted on the server side.

I don't want to put in a hack to get around something the server should be doing already.  We'll get it sorted on the server side.

Okay. Maybe I can help troubleshoot that issue in MBS. But I have a couple questions that I need answered to help me pinpoint my experiments for troubleshooting.

I looked around and did not see a definitive MBS forum thread on this issue. There were a few mentions, but nothing that looked like a definitive thread on the issue.

Should I start an MBS thread on this issue to ask my questions and follow the progress? If not, please point me to the existing thread that I should use.

Edited by jwill

It is something we know about and has been mentioned in a few threads.  I don't think there is a specific one right now.  If you want to create one that's fine.

Latchmor

If I see a recent change is not showing up I back out 1 level and hit record on my remote. This does a refresh. Probably quicker than Update via Settings but only does that folder and its sub-directories of course. 

Works for me.

;)

If I see a recent change is not showing up I back out 1 level and hit record on my remote. This does a refresh. Probably quicker than Update via Settings but only does that folder and its sub-directories of course. 

Works for me.

;)

Again, that does not work unless MBS picks up the change. Since MBS is not picking up the changes for me, CTRL-R will not help me. And besides, as I said, I want to have ALL changes picked up, not just under one folder.

Edited by jwill