Multiple users, is Emby right for me?

Binarypasta
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Binarypasta

Hello everybody!

I would like to present the community with the project I'm hoping to get started on, and I would be thankful, if somebody could make it clear for me, if Emby is capable of what I wish to do, before I get started.

The project in short: combine all media from the small dorm I live in. 10 people, 1 big NAS server, multiple accounts on the same server.

So, the longer explanation, in case I can't make it clear enough in short. We live 10 people together, and each person have their own collection of films and music, which we would like to combine on one NAS server, and be able to share (Just to clear out, in case it isn't everywhere, this is legal in my country). Then i hope to install Emby on the NAS server, which for now runs an old version of Windows Home Server in 32bit environment, and create 10 accounts on the server for same collection of media, so that each of us, has a different user, that will be able to be used with, for example Kodi, but with the same Emby server and media. And if possible, making the users distributed as well. (But that is a lower priority)

Can Emby handle this? I have trouble googling the answer.

• Solution

Yes, that is exactly the kind of thing we are designed for and one of the features I believe we do better than any of the other solutions (multi-user).

You could even have different library views for each user and each user's own favorites, watched status and resume points will be tracked individually.

• Like 3

Deathsquirrel

Emby would be fantastic at this as long as everyone's using clients that don't require much, if any, transcoding.  If you've got client devices that require transcoding of video for 10 users at once you're going to need a REALLY powerful server.

• Like 1