Roku Emby Connect and Sync

xaneth

Couple of questions.  My dad has a Roku 3, and every time he opens the Emby channel, it constantly asks for the server.  Why?  My Roku 3 remembers the server without issue.  The only difference is, my user account is bound to my Emby connect account, whereas his is not.  And even though he has an Emby connect account, I am unable to bind his user account to his Emby connect account.  After saving, I do not get the "cloud" icon on his user icon.

Secondly, when signed in as my dad, he is able to "sync" media to MY android device.  I do not want this.  It's ok if he syncs to his own devices, but not mine.  Why?  What settings?  The defaults here are completely confusing.

Edited by xaneth

OK, what I did find that worked, was connecting my dad's account to MY Emby connect account.  Not sure why this works and doesn't work by connecting HIS Emby connect account, but we'll see how it fares.

Still have the question about sync however.  Sync is ok to your own devices, but not to other user's devices.

Couple of questions.  My dad has a Roku 3, and every time he opens the Emby channel, it constantly asks for the server.  Why?  My Roku 3 remembers the server without issue.  The only difference is, my user account is bound to my Emby connect account, whereas his is not.  And even though he has an Emby connect account, I am unable to bind his user account to his Emby connect account.  After saving, I do not get the "cloud" icon on his user icon.

Secondly, when signed in as my dad, he is able to "sync" media to MY android device.  I do not want this.  It's ok if he syncs to his own devices, but not mine.  Why?  What settings?  The defaults here are completely confusing.

After you click save an email is sent to him and he has to confirm it. Until he does this he will not be able to connect to your Emby Server using the connect feature.

Nope, the email is not sent.  The field clears itself as well.  We got this sorted out by:

1.  Logging into the channel on the Roku and entering the server, as it asks EVERY time

2.  Scroll down to Change Server

3.  Three options:  My Media Server (correct one), Add Server and Sign OUT of Emby Connect

4.  Signed OUT of Emby Connect

5.  Re-entered server and now it connects without asking for the username/password as expected

We get a large number of these successful signups every day so there must be something strange going on. I just tested it, no problem found. Got the email straight away. I'm not sure, maybe when you clicked save there was a failure to reach our server. You can always try again and see how to report a problem.

This is what I'm seeing when I tail the log file (CentOS):

2015-10-25 18:04:51.1051 Info - App: ScheduledTasksWebSocketListener stop transmitting over websocket to 192.168.1.205:24789
2015-10-25 18:04:58.9276 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: https://connect.emby.media/service/user?nameOrEmail=dadsemail%40gmail.com
2015-10-25 18:04:59.1414 Error - DtoUtils: ServiceBase<TRequest>::Service Exception
        *** Error Report ***
        Version: 3.0.5724.6
        Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh
        Operating system: Unix 2.6.32.573
        Processor count: 4
        64-Bit OS: True
        64-Bit Process: True
        Program data path: /var/lib/emby-server
        Mono: 4.0.3 (Stable 4.0.3.20/d6946b4 Thu Aug 13 12:36:56 UTC 2015)
        Application Path: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
        The Emby account has been disabled.
        System.ArgumentException
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Connect.ConnectManager+<LinkUserInternal>c__async5.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
        --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
          at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[MediaBrowser.Controller.Connect.UserLinkResult].GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Connect.ConnectManager+<LinkUser>c__async4.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Ok, I will fix that page to show you an informative error message. It looks like his account is not active. The most common reason for this is that it was never activated in the first place after signing up. He should have gotten an email to do that after he first created his account. If you can't find that email, then send a PM to our forum admin Abobader along with the account info and he can manually activate it.

Thanks a lot, we can take care of that on our end.

As for sync, what settings need to be made for each user, so that they cannot sync to other user's devices?  Thanks again.

there are already settings to control what devices users can access, and those will dictate sync access as well. i know you said you were confused by the defaults but the other side of the coin is much worse. if everything were closed off by default the vast majority of people would just dismiss us as "not working".

Thanks again Luke, I found the device settings finally.  Some settings would be nice to control globally vs. per user, as I have a pretty good amount of users.  I appreciate the quick response to my questions as well, and have signed up for monthly access to Emby to take advantage of all the plugins and so forth.  I'm running Plex as well to get a comparison, but I prefer Emby so far, as it seems much more configurable, and is open source, seeing constant development.  Keep up the great work!!!

• Like 1