Constant server crashes and failure to install updates

wizbowes
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

wizbowes

Hi,

I've been suffering from constant (two or three times a day) crashes of the server which requires a restart.  Additionally not sure it's related every update fails to install - on every reboot it asks me to update, claims it just needs to restart, then boots again.  Generally I need to boot into safe mode, remove current version and then reinstall   I attach a copy of the server log for the latest crash, and a log file before an update, and after that update - showing the unchanged version number.

after-restart.txt

Crashlog.txt

restart.txt

Happy2Play

Not sure on the crash but the updating looks like ffmpeg is still running, so the update process can't complete because the folder is still in use,  or the server process isn't closing fast enough in task manager.  I have two machine where the process hangs for about a minute after server is exited.

2015-10-24 22:03:54.5827 Info - MediaEncoder: Killing ffmpeg process
2015-10-24 22:03:54.5827 Error - MediaEncoder: Error sending q command to process
2015-10-24 22:03:54.5827 Error - MediaEncoder: Error in WaitForExit
2015-10-24 22:03:54.5827 Error - MediaEncoder: Error killing process

You can update from beta installer.

wizbowes

Just tried it again - made sure there was no ffmpeg process running and restarted the server - same result.

Donwloaded the latest build from the website, tried to update and got the following error

562c1dc24d7f9_Untitled.png

Tried the link you gave - but same result as before.  Looks like it works - but when I log in it it's the old version and says it needs to restart.  Hit the restart button and nothing happens.  Give up waiting, restart the server service manually and when I get back in it's the old version and says it needs to restart to complete the update.

• Solution
Happy2Play

So you have the same issue I have you have to wait for the server process (MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe) to die before you can perform any updates.  The devs have not been able to find a cause for this but you are not alone with this issue.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/6865-server-process-is-not-closing-on-restart-or-restart-is-attempted-to-soon

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20290-update-fails/

• Like 1