Require login for all external connections

imadunatic
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

imadunatic

I'm not sure why I just noticed this today, but if I browse to my external IP offsite and know the port number of my server, I can have full and unfettered access to Emby with no protection. 

I don't have password protection on my profiles for convenience sake at home, but is this the only way to protect my server from anyone who stumbles upon the open port? 

I know its a needle in a haystack sort of thing... but I'm assuming this is easily resolved through configuration and I just missed it. 

From what I can see you cant have it that way, but you can set a PIN so you can log in quicker in-network. Someone may correct me if i'm wrong.

• Like 1

imadunatic

Does anyone know how plex does it? I don't have my plex password protected, but trying to access it directly via IP:PORT results in a 401 Unauthorized error. 

Since it's not possible to protect it without passwords on every profile, if I simply block the ports in my router, will I still be able to access everything locally? 

Does anyone know how plex does it? I don't have my plex password protected, but trying to access it directly via IP:PORT results in a 401 Unauthorized error. 

Since it's not possible to protect it without passwords on every profile, if I simply block the ports in my router, will I still be able to access everything locally? 

Yes there are two ports for emby, set a different port for your public access then block that on your router.

imadunatic

Yes there are two ports for emby, set a different port for your public access then block that on your router.

Will this also block my apps (android phones and tablets) and Emby connect from working? 

Will this also block my apps (android phones and tablets) and Emby connect from working? 

That i do not know. I just use a password so I can watch my content when visiting family.

• Like 1

imadunatic

Thanks for help MEB. I will play with it. I suppose another option would be if Emby allowed local connections without requiring a password...? I think I need to play with this more, we really only use Emby for Kodi at home, and I use the android app and emby connect when away, which I think can store passwords. 

EDIT: Upon further inspection, it looks like the password is only needed for remote access. According to the wiki: 

562bb37923da2_users12.png

Edited by imadunatic

Thanks for help MEB. I will play with it. I suppose another option would be if Emby allowed local connections without requiring a password...? I think I need to play with this more, we really only use Emby for Kodi at home, and I use the android app and emby connect when away, which I think can store passwords. 

EDIT: Upon further inspection, it looks like the password is only needed for remote access. According to the wiki: 

562bb37923da2_users12.png

Yes, that's what I meant by you can set a pin to log in easier in-network.

• Solution
Happy2Play

You can just enable the pin option, but not set a pin.  So external requires password and local passes through.  As the note says below the enable option.

• Like 3

You can just enable the pin option, but not set a pin.  So external requires password and local passes through.  As the note says below the enable option.

Yes, that what I use in my set up for LAN.

imadunatic

Thanks everyone. I knew it had to be config issue. Randomized my external port and added passwords to all users; works great.