Best options for remote users - sync and remote control

hoxtonia

hoxtonia

I have decent internet speeds at home (152Mbps down - will be 200 in a couple of weeks but only 12 up). My ISP has no

speed limits for downloads except for usenet or torrents between Monday to Friday: 4:00PM-11:00PM and Saturday and Sunday: 11:00AM-11:00PM. I don't torrent so that is not a problem.

Upload limits are a different story:

Weekday

Upload Speeds: 12Mbps

When does it apply: 4PM - 11PM

Timeframe usage is measured over: Previous 60 mins

1 Hour threshold: 2250MB

1 Hour reduced speed: 6144Kbps (-50%)

Duration of speed reduction: 60 mins

Timeframe usage is measured over: Previous 120 mins

2 Hour threshold: 3000MB

2 Hour reduced speed: 4352Kbps (-65%)

Duration of speed reduction: 120 mins

Weekends

When does it apply: 11AM - 11PM

Timeframe usage is measured over: Previous 60 mins

1 Hour threshold: 2250MB

1 Hour reduced speed: 6144Kbps (-50%)

Duration of speed reduction: 60 mins

Timeframe usage is measured over: Previous 120 mins

2 Hour threshold: 3000MB

2 Hour reduced speed: 4352Kbps (-65%)

Duration of speed reduction:120 mins

Streaming for multiple remote users at peak times is not viable with the upload restrictions and I don't plan on changing ISP with the down speeds I get.

So interested if anyone has any recommendations on best way to connect my remote users with my content. I've played with cloud sync but the up speeds I get are slow and my space is limited. I really want a client that provides the option of syncing content whilst also being able to display it on a tv and controlled with a remote control. The Emby for Android TV, Roku and Theatre clients don't provide sync which rules them out,

So that leaves emby for android on an android box with an air mouse I presume or windows 10 app on a media pc with a media centre remote? Anyone any feedback on the experience of using either of these apps on big screen with remote control. Any other ways members are achieving what I am after

I want to be able to force all my remote users to sync content during the hours I allow and to be only able to playback content they have synced, Are there settings available on the server that would allow this control - synced content only? And a page that pulls all synced content together like the favourites and next up pages.....to make it much easier to get to synced content...

Would also be good if I could manage the sync jobs as an administrator - pausing jobs or being able to prioritise would be helpful. I want to make it as easy as possible for my parents (in their eighties) to be able to playback. I see the playing back of locally synced content as the most reliable solution for them just not sure they would cut it with an air mouse.

Grateful for any thoughts.....

Cerothen

I haven't tested this plan in detail however:

You could set the users to only allow syncing like in the images below:

562f6fefd3ec5_Image1.png

Then you could set the sync scheduled task to start at the beginning of your unlimited window and set the time limit to run for the duration of your unlimited window.

562f703c46521_image2.png

I think this will do what your looking for based on what I read, my apologies if it does not. This would have the limitation that your users would have to select content to sync before 11pm each day if they want to have it for the next day.

Hopefully that will work for you.