playback not working in Firefox/Waterfox

XiaNYdE

XiaNYdE

Since updating to version 3.0.5768.4 playback/resume will not work in waterfox for me, tested it with Microsoft Edge and it works fine but clicking play/resume on anything in waterfox does nothing.

I don't have time for waterfox, sorry.

In firefox, normally I would not nudge people towards the beta, but firefox 42 adds new capabilities and allows it to take advantage of this:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-233-emby-partners-with-viblast-to-bring-hls-and-mpeg-dash-to-desktop-browsers/

I'm told 42 is being released in the next couple weeks. As for the current version of Firefox, I would guess that it's probably still working fine but with the new version imminent I do not have time for both.

XiaNYdE

Yeah i read all that back when it was posted luke, playback was working fine 48hrs ago though, then it stopped after i installed the new beta, however a few minutes ago another beta was pushed out 3.0.5768.5 and playback is working again so i do not believe it had anything to do with HLS etc..

jpimlott

I am on the latest beta and firefox worked fokr about 3 music videos then quit.

Not it is the same as safari and IE11.

Video Error
There was an error playing the video.
Ok

3 different browers worked for 1 or 2 videos then stop working with same message.
Kodi works great
popcorn hour c200 can not play pictures or videos via dlna.
I did a profile for it too.

I have tried clearing cache, restarting emby server, and compatibility mode all to no help.
John

I am on the latest beta and firefox worked fokr about 3 music videos then quit.

Not it is the same as safari and IE11.

Video Error
There was an error playing the video.
Ok

3 different browers worked for 1 or 2 videos then stop working with same message.
Kodi works great
popcorn hour c200 can not play pictures or videos via dlna.
I did a profile for it too.

I have tried clearing cache, restarting emby server, and compatibility mode all to no help.
John

Hi there. For problems with media playback, please see how to report a problem.

I am still having the same trouble with IE and Safari.

One video played in Firefox 41

56317f4e15c5e_errorie11.jpg

This is related to the new QSV decoding setting. The problem is display-driver related. You can read about that here along with the rest of the thread as some users have solved it:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26481-quick-sync-crashes-ffmpeg/?p=258026

Or you can just disable it. 

Happy2Play

This is related to the new QSV decoding setting. The problem is display-driver related. You can read about that here along with the rest of the thread as some users have solved it:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26481-quick-sync-crashes-ffmpeg/?p=258026

Or you can just disable it. 

@@Luke

How would you disable it?  Your options are "Auto" and "Intel Quick Sync".

jpimlott

I am thinking about putting in a nvidea display card.

Will this solve and this problem and help for transcoding?

My DVI is not working at the moment anyway.

I set the system to auto and is still crashing on video playback on IE 11

firefox is working but very slow transcoding. It takes about 3 times the length of the video to transcode.

It is a simple mpeg at a low bitrate. 480p at 1 megbite, the cpu is a I3 and running at 25% during the operation.

john

Firefox 42 will perform much better because it adds a lot of new capabilities to the browser. You can try the beta if you like.

An nvidia card won't currently make a difference, but we'll add hardware support for it in a future release. Just be forewarned, it won't be as user friendly as the QSV setting. We can't legally distribute nvidia hardware decoding so while the server can add support for it, you'll have to supply your own version of ffmpeg with the required features. I'm sure there will be some community members who figure it out.

jpimlott

I am running the latest beta Version 3.0.5768.7

I set it to auto. IE had this transcode log after a failure.

Would an amd card be any difference than a NVidia card for transcoding for new versions ?

ie11-transcode-log.txt

I am running the latest beta Version 3.0.5768.7

I set it to auto. IE had this transcode log after a failure.

Would an amd card be any difference than a NVidia card for transcoding for new versions ?

what version of windows?

jpimlott

Windows 7 , from multiple computers either across the internet or local in the house do not play

Windows 8.1 tablet is playing video from IE11 so far for even higher res and bitrate videos.

Safari from an iphone6 with io9 is not working for music or videos

john

ok, yea. IE11 on windows 7 is hard to pull off. With windows 8.1, the IE11 experience is much better because we're able to take advantage of new features. (Yes, same browser, but different features available per OS).

if you install this webm plugin for IE, that will switch the streaming to that format:

https://tools.google.com/dlpage/webmmf/

But be forewarned - webm isn't so great either, in fact, it's the very thing firefox 41 is using that we will no longer have to use with firefox 42. In a perfect world we'd probably fall back to flash video for IE11 on windows 7, but since it's only needed in that one situation, that's why it hasn't been done.

Safari i cannot reproduce, everything working great here. but i will keep testing it. Please note, safari does not allow autoplay, so when the video player comes up with the play button in the middle, you have to tap the play button, and sometimes the button seems difficult to tap. (it's the browser button, not ours).

jpimlott

Thank you for info. webm worked on ie11 on win7.  Win8 ie11 even plays bluray with some pauses for transcoding catchup I guess.

On iois9 music shows error underneath the window and can not close it by clicking on it. It did work for a few shows after I fixed the

ffmpeg issue not having all the libraries.

which video card going foreward is best if my onboard card is having trouble ?

john

if by trouble you mean slow performance, than a faster cpu is generally the best bet. but if you mean some kind of hardware failure obviously that's different.

• 1 month later...
Some.Internet.Kid

Hello,

I am running my emby server (Version 3.0.5781.5) on CentOS 7 with my content hosted on a Debian 8 box.  When I try to play a Movie on Firefox (43.0) I get a video error.  I am running Linux Mint (17.2).  Is there anything I can do to rectify that error?

-David

Hello,

I am running my emby server (Version 3.0.5781.5) on CentOS 7 with my content hosted on a Debian 8 box.  When I try to play a Movie on Firefox (43.0) I get a video error.  I am running Linux Mint (17.2).  Is there anything I can do to rectify that error?

-David

This is really tricky for us because on linux firefox does not include h264 support even though the browser advertises that it does support it. Without h264 support we encode to webm for firefox. My guess right now is your ffmpeg build doesn't have webm support and that is failing. To see if I'm right, see how to report a problem so that you can provide additional information.

Independent of this, i would definitely suggest Chrome as there are a lot less hoops to jump through.

• Like 1