ELI5: Can someone further explain "Path Substitution" please?

DrGerm

OK, so I've read https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Library%20setup#path-substitution which states:

Path substitutions are used for mapping a path on the server to a path that clients are able to access. By allowing clients direct access to media on the server they may be able to play them directly over the network and avoid using server resources to stream and transcode them.

Path substitutions are configured in the Path Substitution tab of the library setup area.

And I see posted in threads that this may be "preferred".

However, I just can't figure this out. Specifically, what do I actually enter?

For the setting there is
To: "Example: \\MyServer\Movies (a path clients can access)"

I only have one library set up right now, and it is a folder of movies stored at \\MyServer\Movies, do I enter this into both fields?

Thanks!

I have revised the help text on that wiki page. Please read it again and let me know if it makes more sense to you.

I have revised the help text on that wiki page. Please read it again and let me know if it makes more sense to you.

Thank you for the example.

I am guessing this just might not apply to me and that's why I'm not following. So, I'll just leave things alone.

I didn't add my files as a folder on the local machine (where the server is running). 

Under Library -> Folders -> Movies -> Media Locations -> "\\Server\Movies"

Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 1