Synology Folder Permissions and Emby file structure

Gernash

Gernash

Setting up shares on NAS

Create Logical Shares on the NAS i.e. //Movies ; //TV ; //Anime ;

User Access

Windows:

If you have the Guest user enabled then all UNC connection will be managed with that user.

If you have Guest user disabled then whatever user you use to connect to the NAS is the primary manager.

-Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Credential Manager is where the list of credentials are to access your NAS or any windows passwords to shares,ftp etc

Synology:

Default UNC access user is Guest is a part of the users Group

By default the users group Has no Access to any shares (as the top tier of permissions) then in the guest user (2nd tier) you add the read/write permission to any folders you was to have access to.

Folder Permissions

Synology Folder Permissions

With WinSCP navigate to /volume1 and locate the folder with your media right click and choose properties, change the permissions Octal to 0777 also check the Set group, owner and permissions recursively (Note: Group/Owner is root)

Edited by Gernash
  • Like 2

Gernash

How to sort your media

For everything to work correctly you need to Have you media sorted correctly and in the correct folder structure. (plex, video station can go crazy if you just shotgun it in a folder as well)

If all your Media is just jumbled and has odd files in there as well I recommend creating a Sort or dump folder and stick all the media in there 1st then begin the nightmare of sorting it.

MANUAL Sorting

TV

Create TV name as per imdb webpage then inside of it the Season Name then copy the file inside of that then rename it to {TV Name} - {SxxExx}.ext

\\Share Name

\Show Name

\Season xx

\MyShow - s01e01.ext

(NOTE: Specials(like web casts and Christmas episodes) live in a folder called Season 00 and when viewed in Emby appear in a folder called Specials)

Movies

Create Movie name as per imdb webpage and place movie in there and rename it to the same name as the folder. 

\\Share Name

\Movie Name

\MyMovie.ext

Subtitles

srt files live in the same folder with the same name as the media file

AUTOMATED Sorting

TV Shows

therenamer on PC

Click the Spanner in the top right and add the unc path to the Dump folder and the NEW TV folder.

then start dragging movies into it (5-10 at a time due to internet search restrictions) and it will move the files into the correct folder with the correct folder structure.

(Note: Have the Files in the root folder of the Sort folder and not in subfolders as it can have a hissy fit)

Advanced - Install Sickrage on NAS - follow this Guide

Add New Show in sick rage then dump the TV show in Completed folder.

Movies

therenamer on PC

Click the Spanner in the top right and add the unc path to the Dump folder and the NEW Movie folder.

then start dragging movies into it (5-10 at a time due to internet search restrictions) and it will move the files into the correct folder with the correct folder structure.

(Note: Have the Files in the root folder of the Sort folder and not in subfolders as it can have a hissy fit)

Edited by Gernash
  • Like 2

Gernash

Media Library Folders - You cannot use UNC path to shares you have to use local Linux folder structure all user data is contained in the /volume1 folder

5627062c40420_MediaLibraryFolder.png

Media Library Path

562706567200d_MediaLibraryPath.png

Edited by Gernash
  • Like 2

Gernash

There you go a Shotgun of information!!!

If you ask question to a specific thing/howto I'll expand and update it

Edited by Gernash

Dodgy Bob

:D  WOOHOO!  :D

Thanks for this Gernash, I'll be sure to check this out as I go through my reinstall of Emby over the weekend ... I'd like to say tonight or even during the week, but I just don't think I'm going to get there before the weekend   :(

Hopefully things will come good for me.

Thanks again,

Dodgy Bob.

PS - Perhaps this should be stickied / pinned??