first impressions/suggestions

jaxnatax

jaxnatax
Hello,

this is a very good product !

I've tested the Emby Windows version 3.0.5724.6

With a Samsung D8000 series TV.

Please find my experiences and my requests below (if possible to ask so much from you)

login page:

- server option to disable/hide "remember password" on a per device basis

- server option to set useable/default character set at this screen (eg numbers)

- not localized messages  - please implement localized/translated login GUI also

- only 3 users are shown in the login screen, please implement either:

- showing all users (eg automatically reduce tiles' sizes to fit everyone on the screen) OR

- leave it to manually configurable (eg 5)

- wrap tiles into multiple lines if more users defined/would be shown than it would be gently visible

- help info belongs to internal gui, not login screen - please correct

- shows the password when typing the password !!! useless, please correct it !

- pin code not working - when I enable it, every local user can log in without password to return/back button - exit without confirmation, please add confirmation here

gui:

- server option to hide/discard folders without relevant content (where no audio/video content found) - please implement

- option to search/filter by title (even localized), resolution, rating, release date,  or jump to first letter

playback window

- info button shows plot, but not possibilities on this screen (like other pages - not homogenous)

should be present: time played, time remaining, current time

- option to change internal audio track not working at transcoding videos

- option to change subtitles to show only forced

- option to change video options like aspect ratio)

- playback from DVD folder (VIDEO-TS* files)/ BD folder ???

- option to set rating at the end of the movie (maybe even with uploading it to rating sites also ?)

- option to merge content with same public ID (if the titles with same imdb ID should be shown only once, means another code needed when selecting playback: select which media should be played)

- option to move media to different volume/folder (or detecting if that media is moved)

- option to search localized titles also

- pre-caching media tiles for better response times on devices (with 1000s of medias tiles load slowly - sometimes hangs for ~30 seconds on 1Gbit network also)

- plot scrolling:

- starts to early, even a good reader can not read the first line

- jumps back to the beginning too early - can not read the whole text at first attempt

- SUGGESTIONS: manual stop/scroll, OR manual timing options

- push return/back button at highest folder - do nothing, or logout ask before log out the user or quit but ask confirmation

- option to disable unknown content rates also (not only empty ones)

- option to mass update of "custom content rating" attribute

server

- library scanning 

- scanning thread crashes at long path names (longer then 260 character) - user short names for processing !

- better title extraction from available sources:

- remove specific words (eg sample)

- replace special characters with spaces (eg .)

- check filename first, if no match found, then check folder name, if no match then check original nfo files (downloaded with media, not emby generated) - look for imdb or other details like title/date

- OR possibility to put imdb ID to empty (emby comaptible format/heading) into the metadata folder and emby loads it

- low prio! option to define mandatory fields (eg content rating - lack of this field cause to not show at all)

- availability of original title/localized title - even for filtering/searching

- update priority structure needed: eg I wish to get all my movies' plot/title in my localized language. Metadata extractor is available, site is available, however this item's metadata is not available there today (eg they will be fill up 1 months later). In this case EMBY downloads another site data and keep that. My wish is that Emby should retry to get the metadata from the sites with higher priority while it gets that.

- possibility to filter only/out internet UNmatched items - eg for better correcting mismatched/unmatched items / eg noisy content

- option for metadata writer (when put metadat files to the movie folder) to put these datas into a subfolder

alternative to ".nfo" extension or add naming convention (eg EmBy!.NFO)- to bypass conflicts with another NFO releases 

- scheduler - own script running possibility - eg parental control homogenizing script ?

Thanks a lot, keep up this App !

regards,

J

Edited by jaxnatax

Deathsquirrel

If you would like to raise feature enhancement requests I suggest posting one per thread to http://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/98-feature-requests/.  If you're encountering issues please see http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/.

30+ items in one thread is simply not possible for volunteer posters to address or for you to reasonably keep track of what has been answered.

Vidman

+ it seems most of these belong to the Samsung TV client, which has its own section of this forum for bugs and feature requests

jaxnatax

Well :) , I hope Luke or another developers/admins see more perspectives in my suggestions than making noises here or dumping me...

Deathsquirrel

Well :) , I hope Luke or another developers/admins see more perspectives in my suggestions than making noises here or dumping me...

It's not likely to get read as is.  I'd really recommend splitting it up and posting in the relevant forums if you want to get help/progress on these ideas or issues.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
jaxnatax

another option needed - manually merge multi part movies (by multi select ?), or ability to define manual options for these rules: eg "cd?"

jaxnatax

does it possibble that the engine forget or dump the previous findings of the metadata ? I found a movie, which already had a cover, but I had to re-identify it again...

FrostByte

another option needed - manually merge multi part movies (by multi select ?), or ability to define manual options for these rules: eg "cd?"

You can manually merge your files with MKVToolNix GUI.  I've done that myself with movies like Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Ben Hur, etc

jaxnatax

You can manually merge your files with MKVToolNix GUI.  I've done that myself with movies like Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Ben Hur, etc

Well that is not I ask here, but thanx...

jaxnatax

Jaxnatax I really urge you to not append new questions to this thread.  If you want help please post your new questions to new threads.  Please see http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/ to ensure you supply the needed data.

Instead, please feel free to support this topics/app by copying my suggestions to the correct topics - I'm still here to help you, not to adopt the whole forum...

jaxnatax

another ideas

- list view with main informations, like plot

- in case of that I mentioning today before, I suggest to put the "lock this item from further changes" to the main buttons  when I hovering the mouse over the cover.

Deathsquirrel

Instead, please feel free to support this topics/app by copying my suggestions to the correct topics - I'm still here to help you, not to adopt the whole forum...

If you don't actually want help that's fine.  This is my last time pointing out that what you're doing largely guarantees you won't see any of your feature requests implemented and may not get help when you ask.  Good luck.

jaxnatax

refreshed to Version 3.0.5768.7

found a visual problem: "emby xml" does not show up in the movies/metadata savers section (however do the job)

refreshed to Version 3.0.5768.7

found a visual problem: "emby xml" does not show up in the movies/metadata savers section (however do the job)

It isn't supposed to.  If you want xml saving there is a plug-in for it now.

Good day,

Really I could not read all your suggestion, sorry, but did you actually looked throw all the Emby server settings in full details and tried them?

My best

jaxnatax

Good day,

Really I could not read all your suggestion, sorry, but did you actually looked throw all the Emby server settings in full details and tried them?

My best

Yes of course, I overviewed all settings I had to use - before I've written down my experiences/suggestions.

If one suggestion is not clear for you then please ask back, I try to explain it another way.

Edited by jaxnatax

jaxnatax

does it possibble that the engine forget or dump the previous findings of the metadata ? I found a movie, which already had a cover, but I had to re-identify it again...

today I found 3 another movie that I do remember had cover before. Today emby showed that they do not have - have to re-download them...

checked out from more browsers and machines (the close out caching issues).

could it be corrected ? very annoying...

Edited by jaxnatax

Vidman

That should not happen, however if you want people to help, you really need to help them to do so...

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26555-first-impressionssuggestions/&do=findComment&comment=258477

I believe she/he thinks she/he is helping and doesn't actually want any help as she/he has repeatedly ignored or derided any suggestions to get help Edited by Vidman

jaxnatax

I believe she/he thinks she/he is helping and doesn't actually want any help as she/he has repeatedly ignored or derided any suggestions to get help

That should not happen, however if you want people to help, you really need to help them to do so...

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26555-first-impressionssuggestions/&do=findComment&comment=258477

if you want to help, then do so !

else...if this is all, what you both can do as "help" or "support" here, then Please be so kind and just keep your hands away from your KeyBoard at all. Please...do not fill up this forum (also?) with your empty, useless notes...maybe a real smart guy would find people who need/want help here, but won't be able to, because of your trashes...Please, Go and watch another movie or play something else and let this forum stay clean. 

thanks in advance

Olywa123

Well, I was genuinely trying to nudge you in the right direction to actually get some support. Read my post again (you need to help people to help you!), I'll put this down to a language barrier.

A real smart guy would read the links and provide the requested info in the requested manner so that smarter guys could properly investigate and help you. http://emby.media/co...ns/#entry258477 (screen shots of folder layout & naming conventions used, emby server logs, etc.).

But at your request I'll steer clear, unfortunately I think many will do the same.