what does "use localpaths instead of addon reddirect for playback" do?

emko

What does use local paths instead of addon reddirect for playback do? does this mean it will show my library files as smb links? instead of the plugin: ?

Is one or the other better? will using the smb be able to keep track of my media on emby server? like whats playing,resume etc?

Angelblue05

@@emko

This has been answered many times, please take the time to search the forums next time.

Local paths (direct paths) will make your paths appear as normal paths (smb, etc). You should use the option if you use an add-on that depends on seeing where your content is located or if you use a low powered device such as rpi.

Using local paths prevents the control of what happens at playback so features like Emby cinema mode, direct streaming/transcoding, parental access (schedule restriction) will be missing.

i asked because the addon asked if i want to use direct path i pressed yes and the option is enabled in the settings but the media is still using plugin: i thought it would use smb but it wont.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Thanks for reporting emko! I'll test the setting during the initial setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for reporting emko! I'll test the setting during the initial setup.

I found this out yesterday even thou it asks about direct paths it doesn't ask for the username and password for the paths so the default path is used ie the plugin path. I had to reset my database again after I found this out.

no what worked was to disable "local paths instead of addon reddirect " the option in the addon settings and after a db reset its now using the smb path, looks like the option check-box is backwards? or i just don;t understand the first time it was on and 99% of the content was plugin:: and some where smb: no idea whats going on but after i disabled the option and reset the db its now all smb::

also one movie had just the filename   moviename.mkv instead of plugin::xxxx or smb:xxx and it did not play of course but after a manual scan it was fixed.

Angelblue05

I confirm the bug. Looking into it right now.

Edit: This should be resolved next beta release.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

This should be fixed with 1.1.53. If you are willing to give it a try and letting me know that it works correctly. If not, it's ok. I will simply assume that it's working correctly now. :)

boatguypat

How should this option be used with the Emby Server "Path Substitutions" option? It seems like they might be performing the same function? 

Angelblue05

Direct path simply puts actual path to the content in the database rather than plugin:// paths.

This should be fixed with 1.1.53. If you are willing to give it a try and letting me know that it works correctly. If not, it's ok. I will simply assume that it's working correctly now. :)

sorry stupid question how do i reset the plugin so it asks that question again?

Angelblue05

You will need to reset your local database. So first, launch the emby add-on > reset local database (full resync). It will prompt you to reset your database, Yes. It will prompt you to reset your Emby information, Yes.

You will need to reset your local database. So first, launch the emby add-on > reset local database (full resync). It will prompt you to reset your database, Yes. It will prompt you to reset your Emby information, Yes.

Sorry Angelblue05 but 1.1.53 i can not get the addon to re sync at all and on my kodi htpc it wont incremental update i have not tried to reset the db because of the issue i am having on the PC.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=f7Jkewex

it just shows  that i am connected to EMby when i open kodi but it does not sync at all, manual sync seems to be working i am testing it out now.

Edited by emko

Angelblue05

Try it again. Go in the add-on settings > advanced > reset local database and post the log from when you restart Kodi if it still doesn't work. Thank.

Edited by Angelblue05

Guest petwri

Ok, I got the same problem here with the Direct Play / Direct Stream issue on 1.1.53. Could please somebody answer me a few questions regarding the setup with local paths / path substitution?

When having set up a path like /media/some-path/music in Emby, and I have set up Kodi with the add-on on THE SAME MACHINE, should the add-on detect that and perform direct play / stream automatically or do I need any path substitution together with "use local paths ..." enabled? Could it be that for some reason, direct play works for videos, but not music? All my music is showing up as mp3 in Kodi, although the majority of it is FLAC.