Direct Play vs Direct Stream - Alternative Paths

JaredC79

JaredC79

1) what is the difference between the 2 of these protocols?

2) I made some changes and upgrades to my HTPC which is the host for Kodi/XMBC.  I played around with my alternative paths because it now has a new name because of a new HD and MOBO.  I have several Rasp Pis as slaves to it but I cant seem to get the alternative paths correct - It also asks me for a password for this server and I have never enabled a password for it.  Should I just delete the EMBY repository and reinstall it?  What should my alternative path look like - the directions seem way too easy.  Literally can I type in //myserver/movies and it will make the connection or do I have to type out the network IP localhost blah blah blah/vides/movies as the path?  Pleas assist.

Thanks in advance,

to be honest i'm not really sure what you're asking. maybe it's better to state the problem you're having first.

JaredC79

what is the difference between Direct Play and Direct stream?

2) I had everything working flawless with direct play and playing from my server on my HTPC to a Client Raspberry

I made a few changes to the computer like a SSHD, new MOBO, etc. windows 10 and had to reinstall the server and everything.  What is the correct way to set up alternative paths?  last time it took me forever to get it correct and now its giving me problems asking for passwords when I don't have one set up on the internal network. Just been a huge head ache getting direct play set up correctly the first time...not knowing 10 makes it harder 

what is the difference between Direct Play and Direct stream?

Direct play - the app hands a file system path to a player and it directly accesses that file using normal network protocols and plays it.  The Emby server is not involved.

Direct stream - the app hands an url to the player that points to your Emby server and the server feeds the file from the file system to the player directly (without modification) via http.

JaredC79

I imagine that i have it all set up correct pm the server..  How do i make sure that the alternative paths are for direct; play, just mapping a network location?