Scan task to indicate what folder/file is being scanned

TrainAss

TrainAss

As I've been reading through the forums I've noticed people commenting that the scanning seems to slow down once a certain percentage hits, usually when scanning large libraries. So I'm wondering if it would be at all possible for the Media Scan task to display what folder/path is currently being scanned. I know that this will help me to determine where the slow parts are, especially if there is an issue and scanning freezes for a long time.

• Like 1

Logos302

The logs can give you this information.  And EBR made a log viewing program to make it easier.  I think it even allows you to open the log while it being used and follow it.

The logs can give you this information.  And EBR made a log viewing program to make it easier.  I think it even allows you to open the log while it being used and follow it.

I actually tried that. I had the log in normal mode (not "debug logging"), and I had autoscroll on in the log viewer. The "scan media task" normally takes about 20 seconds on my machine. But when I started the task and then went into the log viewer, it made the task run VERY VERY slow. After about 60 seconds, the task was only 3% done. So I cancelled the task and started it again without the log viewer observing, and then it completed in about 20 seconds.

I actually tried that. I had the log in normal mode (not "debug logging"), and I had autoscroll on in the log viewer. The "scan media task" normally takes about 20 seconds on my machine. But when I started the task and then went into the log viewer, it made the task run VERY VERY slow. After about 60 seconds, the task was only 3% done. So I cancelled the task and started it again without the log viewer observing, and then it completed in about 20 seconds.

What log viewer are you talking about?  I have never seen the log window (built into the server) cause any delay at all.  My log viewer program does not monitor the file in real time.

What log viewer are you talking about?  I have never seen the log window (built into the server) cause any delay at all.  My log viewer program does not monitor the file in real time.

Is there more than one? The one under Help / View Log.

Is there more than one? The one under Help / View Log.

Oh, that.  That's in the dashboard and it very well may slow things down significantly.

There is an actual log window you can bring up with an option on the tray menu (may require "Developer Tools" turned on in Advanced).

And then there is a log viewing program I wrote to just view log files with.

There is an actual log window you can bring up with an option on the tray menu (may require "Developer Tools" turned on in Advanced).

And then there is a log viewing program I wrote to just view log files with.

Which of those is preferred?

And where do I obtain the last one?