File created date vs file modified date

dazed

Is it possible to have have Emby use the files modified date instead of its creation date?

Here's an example, the image below is from Kodis videodb when files are added from Emby

post-5762-0-23149900-1445115495_thumb.png

And this is Kodis videodb when Kodi scans the files in

post-5762-0-85657700-1445115548_thumb.png

Sonarr can change the files date to when it was aired which is great when adding loads of old shows so recently added doesnt get filled up with stuff aired a while back. I might not have explained this well though . . .

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Do you have "Use File Creation Date" or "Use Date scanned into the Library" set in Metadata-Advanced?

Edited by Happy2Play

Do you have "Use File Creation Date" or "Use Date scanned into the Library" set in Metadata-Advanced?

I have use "Use File Creation Date" which it's doing, i need it to add the file by its modified date post-5762-0-22468000-1445120581_thumb.png which Kodi does

Happy2Play

Never seen a Modified date actually be before a creation date.  Always the other way around.  Unless this is a non Windows.

5622cbdad0470_date.jpg

Happy2Play

Looks like that would be a feature request then.  Moving topic.

I don't know if it's a feature request or Emby just not reading the file correctly and adding it to its DB with the wrong date

It is a feature request. We are doing it the way we feel is best. Kodi is doing it the way they feel is best.

Since Sonarr supports writing nfo you could also use it to populate the added field

• 1 month later...

Has any thought been given to this?

Kodi's option on it look like this

<dateadded>1</dateadded> <!-- 0 results in using the current datetime when adding a video;
                                 1 (default) results in prefering to use the files mtime (if it's valid) and only using the file's ctime if the mtime isn't valid;
                                 2 results in using the newer datetime of the file's mtime and ctime -->

Any chance of adding something similar

• 6 years later...
unmovable

Since @ebr closed a new thread that explicitly requested this feature:

I'm going to have to revive a 7 year old topic then. And no, TimeLord plugin is not a proper answer to this feature request.

Edited by unmovable

roaku
1 hour ago, unmovable said:

Since @ebr closed a new thread that explicitly requested this feature:

I'm going to have to revive a 7 year old topic then.

He linked your thread to this one and marked it as a duplicate because this is the original feature request thread and is the one they are tracking for votes/popularity. You should 'like' the first post in this thread to show that you want this feature.

• 11 months later...
mcfloyd

Hello, I would like to 2nd that timelord is not the greatest solution to this.

The "arrs" are meant for media management, while emby/plex/jellyfin/whatever are meant for access to those media.

With my own setup, I have been trying to follow proper single-responsibility service access levels, which means that the "arrs" get read/write access to the media, while emby gets read-only access.  Because of this, timelord would not have the proper access levels to do its thing.

I will probably end up writing a script to run in sonarr/radarr after import to change the ctime so that everything works well with emby.

mcfloyd
31 minutes ago, mcfloyd said:

Hello, I would like to 2nd that timelord is not the greatest solution to this.

The "arrs" are meant for media management, while emby/plex/jellyfin/whatever are meant for access to those media.

With my own setup, I have been trying to follow proper single-responsibility service access levels, which means that the "arrs" get read/write access to the media, while emby gets read-only access.  Because of this, timelord would not have the proper access levels to do its thing.

I will probably end up writing a script to run in sonarr/radarr after import to change the ctime so that everything works well with emby.

OK I just realized that I am completely wrong about how this works.  The Timelord plugins don't need write access to the media files because they are only changing the metadata in emby's database.  So these plugins are a good solution for me!

• Like 1

jaycedk

Sonarr and Radarr do have this funktion under settings -> media management 

Sonarr

image.png.cb3e2430cc0ef0005a9cc1dc54450240.png

Radarr

image.png.b41cbf340a8131d1265f560ec333f3c2.png

• 4 months later...
Lyfesaver

After reading everything above I am not 100% sure what I am after is the same request but I think this will get me to wanted result so I liked the first post. My actual request would be specific to the database. I would like to be able to sort by date added to the db. The date the db first sees it. No matter if the media is removed and 6 years later added again, it would not be considered "recently added".

1 hour ago, Lyfesaver said:

After reading everything above I am not 100% sure what I am after is the same request but I think this will get me to wanted result so I liked the first post. My actual request would be specific to the database. I would like to be able to sort by date added to the db. The date the db first sees it. No matter if the media is removed and 6 years later added again, it would not be considered "recently added".

Hi, I would set your desired date added behavior in advanced server settings.

Lyfesaver
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, I would set your desired date added behavior in advanced server settings.

Thank you for helping and sorry for being thick headed but I dont see where I can do that

Lyfesaver
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

have you explored the advanced tab in the library section?

I had, but it had been a while. Thank you for reminding me. I did try and change it but it looks like it does not make a difference for me as when a file is re-encoded it has a new creation date... the time it was re-encoded. Really would like the feature of the database date but that is completely off topic now that I know date created will not work.

Again, thank you for pointing that location out. I was looking for advance server settings and forgot to look in the library settings itself.