Emby Fire Stick - https & self signed cert

runtimesandbox

runtimesandbox

I'm trying to use the Emby app on the Fire Stick and am having trouble connecting.

Server is running fine and I can access the URL on a pc. 

When i put in the URL and port of my emby server it can't ever connect? Is this because I am using a self signed certificate? (i remember reading the the chromecase couldn't work with a self signed certificate - i may be wrong)

If this is the case, is there a guide on purchasing and installing an official certificate?

Correct.  SSL is not fully implemented in this app.  I'm sure it won't work with a self-signed certificate.

• 2 years later...
EliteCube

Correct.  SSL is not fully implemented in this app.  I'm sure it won't work with a self-signed certificate.

how is the situation? does that still not work?

SSL should work fine as long as you can get the device to accept your certificate.  On the Fire, that probably means a true cert instead of a self signed one though.  Or, use a reverse-proxy solution.

EliteCube

SSL should work fine as long as you can get the device to accept your certificate.  On the Fire, that probably means a true cert instead of a self signed one though.  Or, use a reverse-proxy solution.

I have a self signed certificate (Certbot 2048 Bit) 

For web i have a Nginx Proxy https on Port 443 with a Domain. With a Test its a A rated Certificate.

Login works on FireTV with Port 443 but Streaming dont working, only 4 Secounds and laggs...

I test 8920 and FireTV say "Cant connect to Server". (I have also create a pfx cert from my A rated certificate)

Only 1 way work, i open 8096, Streaming and login work on FireTV.

You mean that's just because it's a self-signed certificate? that's a shame just to buy a certificate :/

Edited by Seimann

The question is whether the Android os accepts the cert by default.

EliteCube

The question is whether the Android os accepts the cert by default.

Can i test this with Emby for Android (Smartphone) ?

EliteCube

Yes.

ok the difference is: on port 8920 open a dialog with "Click OK to accept the SSL certificate for this Emby Server"

On FireTV no questtion dialog. Only cant access to the Server

On Port 443 works direct without dialog

But Streaming dont work on 443 without laggs on FireTV

Ok so the fact that you're seeing the dialog confirms that Android doesn't' accept the cert. In the mobile app we added this dialog as a manual override a long time ago. At this point we would prefer to pursue trusted cert solutions as they will work with every app and don't require these kinds of manual overrides.