MBS and running as a service.

Logos302

Logos302

I would be nice that when set-up to run as a service that when doing and upgrade that it didn't start the application automatic but rather started the service.

Logos302

Unless I'm doing something wrong.  I just installed it from www.mediabrower3.com/download ran the setup.exe and once it was finished it start the application.  Is this not how I should be upgrading it?

Logos302

ok now that I know I'm doing it correctly.  It seems that it not doing it as you describe.  When you do the install/update it starts the application as if it wasn't running as a service.  

Edited by Logos302

Logos302

It would be better (When you have your setting configured as a service) for it  to start the service rather then the application.  

Logos302

would this option not imply that it is running as a service? And if not then that would follow with the my feature request I guess.  

529cd12624fdd_20131202102634AM.png

It's related to the fact that we can't reliably restart the service. It will fail if the logged in user account doesn't have the ability to start and stop services. The route we've taken is delivering fewer features that all work reliably rather than more that don't work half the time.

No.  We cannot assume that, just because you don't start the server automatically, that you will be running it as a service.

In any case, as Luke said, we cannot reliably start a service in all environments so we simply have to leave this to the user.  Running as a service is an advanced-user feature anyway.

Logos302

ah I understand a little more now.  It's just annoying to have to stop the application wait for all the ports to close (At least I think that is what it is) other wise the service will not start and then start the service.  But ok then.  Guess it's not going to happen.  :(   Maybe as an advanced option at the later date.  

Unless I'm mistaken it doesn't start the application at all, rather it just tells you to restart the service manually.