download the APK?

mnbf9rca

mnbf9rca

I want to sideload the android APK on to a media player i have which doesn't have the google play store on it. Do you have a link to download the APK directly?

mnbf9rca

yes but i'm always nervous about installing APKs downloaded from sites like that. I hope it would be super simple for you to make it available - there are many people with generic android media players who would find it really helpful. Is this something you'll consider?

Some portions of the app require the Play Store so it would only work for supporters which I believe would just create confusion and frustration.

if there is enough demand we will obviously reconsider, but right now the number of people who ask for a separately downloadable apk is pretty small.

demonseed

there is a little known fact about google. They almost always provide you with the tools to basically undo anything they have done. (if you know how to use them)

There's an extension in the Chrome store called APK Downloader that unlocks all of the free apk's available in the play store.

Screenshot%20%2822%29.png

and makes them downloadable through your chrome browser via Download button the plugin adds to the play store page.

Only catch is, to configure the extension you have to use your own devices android ID.

The author show's you how to find your devices android ID then the plugin can emulate your physical device as the recipient of the download. 

That way the app devs still get to keep track of the types of devices and download count etc..

TIP: The android version setting does not have to match your device. 

So if you want to d/l something not compatible with the device ID, just bump up the android version in the plugin settings. 

Works great, dead simple.

On a side note, you said your device doesn't have google play services on it, again google has provided a solution

in the form of gapps, Android firmware specific bundles of all the bare necessity google app goodness required for any respectable android device.

Gapps flash install from the Recovery bootup so you have to know a little something about your device to do it, but instructions are plentiful on the web.

On a difficulty scale I'd say these process are about a 2 of 5, and shouldn't take more then half an hour to complete.

So just about anyone should be able to comfortably do the things I showed. 

I hope this was somewhat helpful to you, and anyone else that may need it.

Edited by demonseed

• 4 years later...