Kodi addon laggy over HTTP

3djake

Hello all.

I was hoping you could help me resolve a performance issue I am having with the Emby For Kodi addon.

My Emby server is in a remote location so I use HTTP and from my testing on all other devices 2mbps seems to be the optimal bitrate for streaming from my emby server.

I have set Emby for Kodi to 2mbps and even tried lower settings but it still plays for about 30-120 seconds and then has to buffer again.

I tried using different skins and I also tried an overclock on the Pi 2.

I have tried playing media on other devices such as tablets, laptops and using the emby addon for the Roku Stick and they all work great. Of course I much rather get the Kodi addon to work rather than have to use the Roku stick.

Has anyone experienced this on the Pi 2 while using HTTP? Are there any tweaks to avoid this?

Emby for Kodi: 1.1.39

Kodi: 14.2

Device: Raspberry Pi 2(Xbian)

Thanks.

its connected via LAN, I installed RJ45 jacks throughout the house.

I did a scp to test network connectivity, it seems to be fine.

Test on local area network

jacob@jacob-desktop:/media/FreeSpaceEXT4/home/jacob$ scp /media/jacob/37E22ADB6D467DDC/slayers/Slayers/slayersmuxed/Slayers.S01E01.mkv xbian@10.0.0.156:/home/xbian/
Slayers.S01E01.mkv                                                                                                                                                                 100%  147MB  10.5MB/s   00:11  

Test to remote emby server
 69%  251MB   1.9MB/s   00:54 ETA

Edited by 3djake

Cirkator01

Kind of in the same boat although I am using a standard laptop, not a pi2.

With plex I can stream at 2.0mbps without buffering, in emby I use 1.5mbps.

Sometimes 2mbps also work, but to be on the safe side I use 1.5

Angelblue05

Maybe you can modify advancedsettings. I'd suggest to search "kodi rpi2 buffering" and trying out what you find, see if that makes a different. Also, are you direct streaming, transcoding? It will say under emby active devices. Is it the same experience for all your content or only specific types (mkv, etc)?