How Are You Determiningwho is a Guest Star...or Actor of the Show?

fredg89_p

fredg89_p

Long Thread title is long. Lol

So, my question to every is....how are you determiningwho is a Guest Star of a show or if they should be displayed in the main show folder? I was doing it based on how my episodes the person is in. If they were in half or more, then the person was included as an actor...and if the person was in 49% or less of the shows...then they were added as a guest star.

Happy2Play

It is all pulled by the metadata providers, TVDB or TMDB.

Example 12 Monkeys 1x01 only TVDB list guest stars.

TVDB

TMDB

You also need to ensure you have them enable.

Metadata-Advanced-People

• Like 1

fredg89_p

It is all pulled by the metadata providers, TVDB or TMDB.

Example 12 Monkeys 1x01 only TVDB list guest stars.

TVDB

TMDB

You also need to ensure you have them enable.

Metadata-Advanced-People

I understand...but TMDB is not up to data on all actors. They usually just list the most well recongized. IMDB, lists all cast members but does not break down if the person is a guest or if the person is an actor.

Happy2Play

IMDB is not a metadata provider to Emby do to the cost of accessing their api.  TVDB and TMDB are community driven providers so it is up to the community to update and provide the data that is missing.

fredg89_p

IMDB is not a metadata provider to Emby do to the cost of accessing their api.  TVDB and TMDB are community driven providers so it is up to the community to update and provide the data that is missing.

I know that. You're missing what I'm saying. I am manually updating all of my items as to try and get some consistency in how the data is displayed. IMDB displays all the cast members and how many episodes they are in and what role they play. I play on using that information to help TMDB our by adding those persons that are missing. The issue is...I don't know how to determine whether to make some a Guest Star or just make them as an actor on the show. If a person is in half of the episodes or for a season out of 4...Should they be considered a guest star since they aren't the main actors or just make them an actor. Maybe it's a bit confusing.

Happy2Play

I see what you are asking now.  It is a grey area. 

Example Criminal Minds

Jennifer Love Hewitt  (added in Season 10)

IMDB currently shows 23 out of 238 episode but she isn't a guest star, but a cast addition/replacement.

So percentages won't always work.

fredg89_p

I see what you are asking now.  It is a grey area. 

Example Criminal Minds

Jennifer Love Hewitt  (added in Season 10)

IMDB currently shows 23 out of 238 episode but she isn't a guest star, but a cast addition/replacement.

So percentages won't always work.

Exactly...and before I do all that I work. I wanted to get some guideline. lol I'd hate to do all that work and then others come behind and say that it isn't correct.

Happy2Play

I think you have to look at it from Season perspective, to take into account my example above. But less than 50% of a season I would consider a guest star unless it is a new actor/replacement.

AdrianW

It would be really useful if the metadata providers had cast lists at season level as well as at show and episode level.

You have shows like Dr Who where the actors playing the doctor and his assistant changes every view seasons. Or SNL where there's major cast changes every few years. And Skins where the entire cast changed every two years.

Happy2Play

It would be really useful if the metadata providers had cast lists at season level as well as at show and episode level.

You have shows like Dr Who where the actors playing the doctor and his assistant changes every view seasons. Or SNL where there's major cast changes every few years. And Skins where the entire cast changed every two years.

TMDB does, so I would think this would be a feature request for Emby to  pull Season level Cast.