FireTV: Weird video hang issue when nearly complete

spednix

spednix

Yeah, I know...the title is confusing.  I'll try and explain.

First, I'd like to say that I've tested it with straight Android and the problem didn't arise, so I think it's specific to my Fire TV.

Also, I'm running Server Beta.

The problem is when a TV Show (haven't tried Movie) is about 90% complete it jumps backwards to the beginning/middle of the show, plays for 2 seconds and get stuck.  I still use it, it's not a deal breaker, but the annoyance is more the result that it always claims I've never finished a show...

Anyway, curious if anyone else has experienced this?  If not, I'm gonna wipe the app and try again.  Maybe I should go to Stable for the Server?

Thanks,

Ed

spednix

I just checked and everything I've watched were AVI - Codec Mpeg 4.  Loving the product, just this weird issue on my FireTV...I was surprised when I saw no one else having this issue, so maybe I have to re-install server or the client, but I like to troubleshoot things and figure out the problem instead :)

More than likely it is related to the videos themselves and ffmpeg transcoding them.  AVIs and WTVs are the least reliable formats that I've found as far as streaming goes and VLC has a horrible time trying to directly play them.  What you are describing sounds like a problem with the HLS stream.

spednix

I wonder why it's only effected on my Fire TV.  I'll try another file format and let you know if it does the same thing.  I'd sure hate to re-encode all of them :P

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
NanitesGather

I have the same exact issue. I have a Kindle Fire TV Box. I upgraded from the stick. So I know this device has more than enough processing/memory/bandwidth power. One thing I can add that might help is the issue with jumping backward at the end of some episodes will generally jump back to the exact spot I last paused the episode/movie. Maybe there is a bug in the process that checks the end of the episode playing. Has some kind of validation issue that causes it to go back to the last saved value. IE the last spot that the episode/movie was paused at.

"Edit missed the word TV"

Edited by NanitesGather

I have the same exact issue. I have a Kindle Fire TV Box. I upgraded from the stick. So I know this device has more than enough processing/memory/bandwidth power. One thing I can add that might help is the issue with jumping backward at the end of some episodes will generally jump back to the exact spot I last paused the episode/movie. Maybe there is a bug in the process that checks the end of the episode playing. Has some kind of validation issue that causes it to go back to the last saved value. IE the last spot that the episode/movie was paused at.

"Edit missed the word TV"

You also have .wtv and .avi files?