Can't Sync to Tablet

Dizzy49
Go to solution Solved by Dizzy49,

I can't seem to get files to sync to my tablet.  With my daughter's tablet I needed to set the sync path to the SD Card since the tablet itself was full.

I tried that on mine and it wouldn't let me create the folder on the SD card.  I created the folder manually, and then I set the sync path, but it's not working.

I've included the last couple server logs.  Any help is appreciated!

server-63579200796.txt

transcode-e9e45bc3-2f17-47e7-bc51-557bae94d822.txt

Not all versions of Android or devices will allow an app to access the SD card so that may be it.

Can you try freeing up some space on the actual device storage and see if it works then?

It's a LG G-Pad (about a year old, not the newest one).

I have all my downloads and camera set to store on the SD card, but I know they are "system apps".

I have set the sync path to the tablet, so we'll see if that works.

Use the in-app UI to create a folder. If the doesn't allow you to create a folder where you want it, then it means the app does not have permission to write to that location unless you root the device. unfortunately this is something that's going to be inconsistent from one device to another as each vendor seems to customize this.

• Solution

After a bit of research, I discovered that it's not a vendor issue, but an Android issue.  Google decided that the ability for apps to write to the SD card is a security risk, so they disabled access.  If it were anyone else but Google I would say it was a ploy to sell tablets with more internal memory since mSD cards are like $20 for Class 10 64GB, but they charge an additional $150 to go from 16GB to 32GB internal.

Some vendors have included a file explorer that will enable the ability to write to SD, so that's where you'll see inconsistency, but it appears most newer devices will have issues.

Edit: Thank you Like for giving me some direction on this, otherwise I wouldn't have figured it out.

I found a workaround.  Apps are allowed to save to their own folders on the SD Card.  I created a folder called 'com.mb.android' in the /Android/Data/ directory.

I loaded up Emby, and from the UI I was able to browse to that folder and create the EmbySync folder, and files have synced fine! :)

Edited by Dizzy49