How To Properly Label And Sort Sequels

BigGoose62

BigGoose62

Hello all,

I am new to MBT, and absolutely love it. I do have a question that I hope somebody can answer.

I'd like to hear how people prefer to label and sort their movie franchises. For example, how do you label and sort the Die Hard movies (Die Hard, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard With A Vengeance, Live Free Or Die Hard, A Good Day To Die Hard)? I find it difficult to not use the actual title, but I also want them to appear in the proper order following the first in the series. Is there any possible way to do this in MBT?

So basically, I'd love to have my collection look like this:

Death Proof

Detroit Rock City

Die Hard

Die Hard 2: Die Harder

Die Hard With A Vengeance

Live Free Or Die Hard

A Good Day To Die Hard

District 9

Django Unchained

What I have attempted to do so far (sorry that it's a different franchise as the example) is put all the James Bond movies in a folder titled James Bond[boxset]. Inside this folder are subfolders for each movie. But since I want those in order, I put a number in front. This doesn't seem to work though because the whole boxset rule isn't followed by MBT, and the movies just show up at the beginning of the list with the rest of the number-titled movies.

I hope any of this is making sense. I'd love some input from some people in the know.

And I work nights and sleep days, so I might not reply immediately. But I will gladly reply if I need to explain this better!

RaxPower

In the metadata editor (on MBS) you can use the field "Sort name" to tell where to put the item in the list. In the case of wanting the Die Hard films to appear in order of the sequels, i named each one "Die Hard 1" and so on. I haven't used boxets yet so james bond for me is set to use James Bond x to put them in aired order in the list.

WWWestern

For sorting in MB3 use "Sort name" field when editing metadata in MBS like "die hard - 1", "die hard - 2" etc.

For sorting in file system use leading numbers in square brackets "[1] Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)", "[2] Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)" etc. Сharacters in square brackets are not part of the name and ignored by fetcher, if those aren't specified tags.

BTW folder should named as "James Bond Collection" by TMDb naming standards. [boxset] tag is now redundant.

BigGoose62

Thank you for your posts! As in another thread, the sort name feature was exactly what I was looking for. I really thank you guys for posting that.

Now, I guess the discussion can continue on...

What is everyone's preferred way of sorting their movie series?

I'm pretty sure things like James Bond, Star Wars, F&F (sad news about Paul Walker), and others with many entries will be kept in a collection format (if I can get it to work properly). But do you also do that with series that only include 1 sequel? I'm torn on how I wish to proceed, and would love to hear what other people prefer.

yardameus

Usually, like WWWestern stated, James Bond Collection, Star Wars Collection, is the easiest way to go.  I usually just go to TMDB.com and check out if they have a collection and what it's called, which allows for the scraping of info.

BigGoose62

I have a question about the collection setup. I have placed every James Bond movie in a folder labelled "James Bond Collection", but the individual movies show up when I am browsing through "Movies". If I choose the "Collections" option in the top left, the James Bond Collection does appear.

Is this the intended purpose? To have all movies displayed when browsing through the "Movies" option, and both movies and collections displayed when browsing through the "Collections" options?

I hope what I'm asking makes sense

WWWestern

BigGoose62, If You mean webclient's Movie - Movie menu chain then behevior is by design. Do You mean "Collections" = "Box Sets" (actually named point of menu bar)? 

yardameus

Yes, what you see is intended.  At least I assume so, because it's always been that way for me.  The Collections view is how you will see it in MBC.

BigGoose62

Ok, just wanted to verify that I had set everything up correctly. It makes sense that you can choose movies to see all movies, or collections to see both non-collection movies and collections. Thank you guys for your help