Error logging in on FireTV Stick

revengineer

revengineer

I get an error logging in every time I start the emby app on the FireTV Stick. It then asks whether I want to send a note to the developers. After 10 tries I got the error report to send, on the other times the app would simply terminate and the Amazon home screen would show. When I choose not to send report, I get the opportunity to login in again and the program works as advertised. But entering the password every time is surely annoying. Please fix. Thank you.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I got your error report.

This is obviously not normal and not happening to most people.  Is there something interesting about either the user id or password in question?  Do either of them have any special characters in them?

Slightly related - for this app, if you use the Easy PIN feature on the server and turn on the "D-Pad Password Entry" in the app, entering a password can be much easier.

revengineer

Nothing special about either. user name is 8 characters from 26 letter english alphabet. For password I have a 4 digit pin configured which I used for login instead of the password which consist of 14 characters (english alphabet plus numbers). 

I will try the d-pad password entry option.

revengineer

Tried again, same login error and the report will not send. The app simply freezes until I push the home button to exit. This problem occurs with both the pin and the password. I have attached the log from today. I tested at ~7pm.

I can for the heck of it not figure out how the d-pad entry is supposed to work, so I quit trying

server-63579081600.txt

I see a lot of "invalid user id or password" errors and then also "security token is invalid or expired".

And then there are other network operations that just seem to fail or time out.  Is it possible something is mucking with network traffic?

By any chance do you use Avast on your server?

revengineer

I am not aware of anything mucking with network traffic, it's all running stable. I am not running Avast on the server. The invalid passwords may come from my attempts to use the d-pad to enter the password.

As indicated in my last email, I have no clue how to work that. If I remember, the instructions say press up once for "1", press center twice for "5". So how to I infer the button sequences for the other numbers from that?

I saw the security token invalid message and could not determine what that was about. I thought maybe this could be related to the reported login error message.

As indicated in my last email, I have no clue how to work that. If I remember, the instructions say press up once for "1", press center twice for "5". So how to I infer the button sequences for the other numbers from that?

The large image of the remote has number designations assigned to each key.  Has that been chopped off on your screen or something?

This method is almost identical to the one used by the Fire TV to enter the PIN to purchase content so that's kinda what it is based on.  But, as it is a bit odd it is only optional.

revengineer

The large image of the remote has number designations assigned to each key. Has that been chopped off on your screen or something?

This method is almost identical to the one used by the Fire TV to enter the PIN to purchase content so that's kinda what it is based on. But, as it is a bit odd it is only optional.

I did not see an image on the screen. I will adjust the display and recheck. Maybe the stick behaves different than the full fire TV.

I did not see an image on the screen. I will adjust the display and recheck. Maybe the stick behaves different than the full fire TV.

Wow... How about that.  The stick doesn't show the image.  I'm glad you discovered this.  Here's what you should be seeing:

560be7aa0941d_dpadpw.png

revengineer

Definitely not seeing that. No wonder I was in the dark scratching my head. :)

I still have to figure out the login issue. I presently have several servers in the list from various test installations. I will uninstall the app and reinstall to see if that solved it. If not, i will report back.

revengineer

Ok, so I clear emby app cache and data and relaunched the emby client. The app now no longer shows the dead test server vm in the server list and login of my standard user now works without error. Problem solved. 

Ok, so I clear emby app cache and data and relaunched the emby client. The app now no longer shows the dead test server vm in the server list and login of my standard user now works without error. Problem solved. 

Good to hear although I apologize because I thought I recommended that you clear app data and re-try at the very start.  Glad you've got it going now though.