emby and 4k

okaenrique

thefirstofthe300

4K is just a fancy way of saying extremely high resolution video.  Emby has support for h265 decoders and encoders (the codec that 4k uses).  You just have to make sure that the FFMpeg version Emby uses has them (I believe the one that Emby downloads does).  The server itself should have no issues with playing 4k videos.  Where you will run into limitations are the clients that will support 4k video.  Most Android devices don't have 4k support yet.  The web client I can guarantee you won't since I don't know of any browsers that support h265.  Emby for Kodi more than likely has support for 4k depending on the Kodi version you run.  I have no knowledge of iOS so I can't say anything there.  The Roku 4 is going to be the only Roku so far to support 4k.

I guess what I am saying is it all depends on your environment.  The server itself supports 4k provided you have the bandwidth to direct stream.  The clients all depend on what the device is capable of supporting.

MSattler

4K is just a fancy way of saying extremely high resolution video.  Emby has support for h265 decoders and encoders (the codec that 4k uses).  You just have to make sure that the FFMpeg version Emby uses has them (I believe the one that Emby downloads does).  The server itself should have no issues with playing 4k videos.  Where you will run into limitations are the clients that will support 4k video.  Most Android devices don't have 4k support yet.  The web client I can guarantee you won't since I don't know of any browsers that support h265.  Emby for Kodi more than likely has support for 4k depending on the Kodi version you run.  I have no knowledge of iOS so I can't say anything there.  The Roku 4 is going to be the only Roku so far to support 4k.

I guess what I am saying is it all depends on your environment.  The server itself supports 4k provided you have the bandwidth to direct stream.  The clients all depend on what the device is capable of supporting.

The amount of 4k content is minimal it is a moot point right now, unless you are talking about 4k home video.

Has there even been any confirmation that someone has been able to rip 4k Blu Ray?

sneakers282

4K UHD Blu-ray is not available at least not yet and the file size will be pretty big, given the use of 66-100GB Blu-ray discs though not all will make max use of that.

Will it be ripped, probably seeing as BD DRM was broken and it's just another version of that. To play the raw native video will likely need a dedicated hardware decoder to UHD Blu-ray spec, existing HEVC decoders may or may not be up to spec it is a wait and see.

However HEVC is no longer the defacto codec for Internet streaming 4K video that will be VP10 (eventually), the HEVC patent pool has been poisoned for streaming video but it will remain the codec for physical media.

It is rumored anything that can hardware decode VP9 can also handle VP10 though it is just a rumor, there are devices out there with VP9 support including Amazon's own new 4K FireTV and Nvidia Shield (AndroidTV).

• 1 year later...