Need advice for building a Kodi/Emby box.

hansolo77

hansolo77

Yes you receive a code that must be initiated at startup... It is only for hard ware decoding of codecs that require licences, rather than the pi foundation increasing the price of all PiS to cover this licence fee when not everyone requires it, it is not some scam it is to keep the price of the hardware as low as possible as that was the original idea of the device.... It was not developed to be a cheap media player

But still, if it's only a few bucks, that's not enough to keep the price down I don't think...

Looks like I might have figured it out.  Not sure what part fixed it though.  I actually did a bunch of stuff before trying and it worked.  The first thing I did was go into the System Video settings and enabled both hardware acceleration options.  I then "pretended" I was installing a new repository though zip, brought up the paths and went to my server's shares.. gave it some appropriate credentials and ticked the box to save for that path.  I then went out and into to the Program menu and brought up the configuration window for Emby.  In there I discovered an entry for Network Username/Password and entered the same credentials from the previous entry.  I then tried to load up a share, and it hesitated rather than immediately saying unable to play, then started to play!  I then tried a movie (as the tv show I tried was just a simple SD avi) and it started streaming the full 1080p with Dolby Digital passthrough!  WOOT!  There were a few issues though, but the biggest thing was that the movie started playing a subtitle stream, and I don't know how to disable it (aside from just deleting the .srt files in the path).  I'd hate to do that, because sometimes it's nice to have them on if you're trying to be quiet at night.  Is there a way to enable/disable them while the stream is playing?  Also, when I browse Emby on my primary HTPC I built, the movie I launched includes a trailer, but Kodi just skipped presenting me an option to watch it and just started the movie directly.  Is there a way to see trailers too?  Might that be something I need a different skin for?  The only other issue is hardware related, where my wireless dongle couldn't handle the bandwith and the video started pausing.  Easily fixed with a direct cable connection I'm sure.  Though I might look into getting a better dongle.  This is something called WiPi that came included in the kit I bought.  I think it's only like 150MB and 802.11b/g.  My router is an AC1600 dual band, so I should be able to get something a lot better (I hope).

Anyway, thanks for your original help about the version of Kodi I was using.  That was spot on.  And also thanks for providing me at least some direction as to what was causing the playback issues.  I notice your name says DEV under it, would you be a Kodi/Emby Dev by chance?  Would you know if there are plans in the works to have the Emby app work with the Kodi v16 (where I could try getting my OpenVPN working again)?

xnappo

You need to remember the Pi foundation is trying to build a cheap educational device - not a media center.  It is a totally reasonable thing to do - if you aren't using it as a media center, then you don't have to pay for it.  It is a few bucks, but each is 10% of the device cost!

As to your other questions:

Is there a way to enable/disable them while the stream is playing?

Yes, go into the menu while playing (m on the keyboard), go to the audio settings, turn off subs.  In the same menu select 'set as default for all movies'.

Is there a way to see trailers too?

Yeah, you can do that - I don't know how though (that many hot dogs makes me dizzy) someone else will chime in. 

Would you know if there are plans in the works to have the Emby app work with the Kodi v16

We start officially supporting newer Kodi revs when they hit the RC (release candidate) stage.  Definitely recommend you stick with released software during the learning curve.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo