Fire Stick Question

PhilWhite

PhilWhite

Sorry if asked elsewhere, but I have never used a fire stick before and wondered if it is worth purchasing for the below purpose.

I am going on a trip to NY and Philly next month and would like to take Emby with me.  With the new Emby app for amazon I assume all works really well with the fire stick -- it is great with Fire TV.  Does anyone here have experience using a Fire stick in hotels with hotel wifi?  If so, how does it perform?  Any problems connecting to hotel wifi with the Fire stick?

MSattler

Sorry if asked elsewhere, but I have never used a fire stick before and wondered if it is worth purchasing for the below purpose.

I am going on a trip to NY and Philly next month and would like to take Emby with me.  With the new Emby app for amazon I assume all works really well with the fire stick -- it is great with Fire TV.  Does anyone here have experience using a Fire stick in hotels with hotel wifi?  If so, how does it perform?  Any problems connecting to hotel wifi with the Fire stick?

I believe at one point there was an update so you could use it with Hotel Wifi that required a logon.  Regardless, I would see if you can find a mobile AC Router, and use it, if the hotel has Ethernet in the room.  The signal in the hotel can always be hit or miss depending where you are to the AP.  This way, you are connecting to your own access point, and the limiting factor will be the available bandwidth through the Hotel's guest network to the internet, not the Hotel's AP's.

Does that make sense?

*EDIT*

Here is the link for the wifi login at hotels:  http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-fire-tv-stick-stakes-out-uk-adds-hotel-friendly-wi-fi-sign-in/

Edited by MSattler
  • Like 1

PhilWhite

I believe at one point there was an update so you could use it with Hotel Wifi that required a logon.  Regardless, I would see if you can find a mobile AC Router, and use it, if the hotel has Ethernet in the room.  The signal in the hotel can always be hit or miss depending where you are to the AP.  This way, you are connecting to your own access point, and the limiting factor will be the available bandwidth through the Hotel's guest network to the internet, not the Hotel's AP's.

Does that make sense?

*EDIT*

Here is the link for the wifi login at hotels:  http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-fire-tv-stick-stakes-out-uk-adds-hotel-friendly-wi-fi-sign-in/

Yes, makes sense, thanks.  That's a good idea.

Normally, I would not recommend a stick over any of the other options (as a $39 device it is just in a different league from the others) but, in this case it may be okay because, as msattler pointed out, the hotel wifi is probably going to be the biggest limiting factor.  The latest version of our app will automatically detect your bandwidth and adjust accordingly though.

• Like 1

MSattler

Normally, I would not recommend a stick over any of the other options (as a $39 device it is just in a different league from the others) but, in this case it may be okay because, as msattler pointed out, the hotel wifi is probably going to be the biggest limiting factor.  The latest version of our app will automatically detect your bandwidth and adjust accordingly though.

@@ebr you make it sound like it's a turd :P   I dunno, even for in-home <non-surround sound> use it works pretty well.  And if you are using Kodi on it, it will even Direct Play everything.  Heck, it seems to work better most times than my Google Nexus Player!  

For $39...... I think it's a heck of a little device.