Custom ID for custom collection

maximilianh75

maximilianh75

I feel it's a good Idea If we can add a custom ID like external ID in TMDB 

For I observe The AutoBox Set plugin not recreate the collections. Create new ones using the external ID criteria

Maybe if we have a field to put a custom number in metadata of collection and movie the plugin can group them again a generate new identical collection 

Or Maybe can be automated when you create a new collection manually store a number to be backup and used later

Could you think that it's posible??

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Those IDs are used to pull down metadata from web sources.  Custom created collections don't have that.  What would be the use of having such a field?

Angelblue05

I like the idea so it's possible to backup custom collections. I have a couple collections holding together with a custom collection tmdb ID that's invalid. Obviously it throws errors in my logs, but gets the job done. I just think, even with everything being "automated" there's still a place for a custom ID field for collections - because it really comes down to the person's preferences.

If someone does the job of creating 50 custom collections, then there should be a way to back them up - using the content tmdb ids to link back to the custom collection custom ID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

I don't understand - how does an invalid ID back-up your custom collection?

The only reference is inside of your Emby install - so if it goes away (collection deleted, reinstall, whatever) so does the collection info. I must be missing something, so can someone explain how this would actually work? Perhaps I misunderstand the part being "automated"?

Deathsquirrel

I like the idea of a backup solution for custom collections too but requesting a custom ID field doesn't get you that.  That's why I asked him to clarify the feature request.  I'd suggest editing the original post or opening a new thread specifically requesting an enhancement to the server or the config backup plugin to allow backing up of collection data.  I wouldn't limit it to just custom collections either.  The collection data on TMDB isn't very stable in my experience so collections that were there this morning may not be there next week.

The collection data on TMDB isn't very stable in my experience so collections that were there this morning may not be there next week.

Interesting, I have found the Auto-box plug-in to meet most of my needs, so I am curious what types of collections have appeared and disappeared. I do know they frown upon people creating their own personal collection and delete those, but that makes sense - I would hate for someone's "romantic horror" random collection to suddenly appear in my Emby!

I would be interested in backing up Collections also, even though I don't make many custom ones since it doesn't actually meet my personal needs without a lot of work. I would be perfectly happy with a physical directory and either config files or links. Since I keep my media and metadata on my NAS reinstalling is as easy as pointing the Libraries/metadata links to the shares except for Collections.

The backup plug-in already can back up the Collections.  However, the way the data is stored is not resilient to any change in the environment.

This request is basically the same as the "Set" property used by Kodi.  It would probably make the most sense to just support that property (both reading and editing) and then you could define your own custom sets that could be re-created easily.

• Like 2

maximilianh75

The backup plug-in already can back up the Collections.  However, the way the data is stored is not resilient to any change in the environment.

This request is basically the same as the "Set" property used by Kodi.  It would probably make the most sense to just support that property (both reading and editing) and then you could define your own custom sets that could be re-created easily.

Exactly, Kodi have a tag to define the Set 

The porpouse I write that if not to recreate the collection Because I can do manually copy and then paste the folder again

The collection and metadata read perfectly if you change the user ID for new one. The only problem if adding the titles again to the collection. That the problem now because something is missing and when the server don't find the content clear the PATH's in XML file 

Edited by maximilianh75

Deathsquirrel

Interesting, I have found the Auto-box plug-in to meet most of my needs, so I am curious what types of collections have appeared and disappeared. I do know they frown upon people creating their own personal collection and delete those, but that makes sense - I would hate for someone's "romantic horror" random collection to suddenly appear in my Emby!

I would be interested in backing up Collections also, even though I don't make many custom ones since it doesn't actually meet my personal needs without a lot of work. I would be perfectly happy with a physical directory and either config files or links. Since I keep my media and metadata on my NAS reinstalling is as easy as pointing the Libraries/metadata links to the shares except for Collections.

The one I recall seeing appear and disappear the most is the Monty Python collection.  Some times I install and it exists, other times not so much.  The collection for the Clerks movies has also undergone some odd changes as the other kevin smith movies get added and removed.  It's got nothing to do with Emby, just a predictable side effect from crowdsourced data.  It's a lot less ugly than the idiotic mess that is music genres if you rely on the metadata sources for that :)

The one I recall seeing appear and disappear the most is the Monty Python collection.  Some times I install and it exists, other times not so much.  The collection for the Clerks movies has also undergone some odd changes as the other kevin smith movies get added and removed.  It's got nothing to do with Emby, just a predictable side effect from crowdsourced data.  It's a lot less ugly than the idiotic mess that is music genres if you rely on the metadata sources for that :)

Yeah - I guess I can see some of the "soft" collections (like Python or Tarantino films) being problematic as people will never agree what is part of the collection and what isn't. I understand why The Movie DB has to draw a line. So, while I like many of the KS movies (View Askew stuff) adding those to Clerks and Clerks 2 in the "Clerks" collection doesn't make sense.

Going back to the topic - I like the idea of Sets (I think) but I just noticed that The Movie DB has the concept of Lists. I haven't looked at the actual API, but the top doc says that you can Search and get a list of the movies in Lists. I suspect these would be much more volatile than collections - but I wouldn't mind being able to pull in a list or even better be presented with a list of Lists a particular movie exists in so I can autocreate a Set, assuming there is enough info in Emby to pick the right list. If it weren't possible to do something similar to the person picker (but listing the movies in a List) to create the set, maybe a simple text box where you could insert the List ID after searching the site.

Actually, if Emby had Sets (that used metadata id's for the major providers and not paths) then importing Lists would probably be a quick and easy plug-in.

Koleckai Silvestri

This is why the system should support the List functionality on TMDB. Then you can create a custom list with your account and import it into Emby. You don't need to worry about it disappearing as long as you maintain your account there.

• 2 weeks later...
maximilianh75

Ok For the moment i find some kind of solution backup manually library.db and to data folder of new installation server and work

At an inverse the collection are made it reading the library.db file and then make xml file. I'm not sure if i need to backup the collection folder too but i test this in next weeks

The other thing to considerate is backup user db files or replace the old user id with new one

For the moment it the only way I can Preserve my custom collections

I make a salvation I migrate to windows 10 and library.db not work at all . But maybe because I change de Lenguage of OS or maybe if because not work in different OS. But work in the same OS 

I test in windows 10 making a Collection / Uninstalling EMby / Installing EMby again and copy library and collection and work

Edited by maximilianh75