Android - Wake On Lan

reggierat

reggierat

this is something i currently miss after moving from Kodi with a shared SQL Database.  I could open up Yatse, click music and the NAS would wake up and by the time i clicked play it would start streaming music to wherever.

I do have the Wake on Lan widget for Android to manually wake it up at the moment, but would be great if when click the server name in the Android app it fired off a WOL packet if the server is not immediately available.

Edited by reggierat

MikePlanet

Hi ebr, I am running the Emby server 24/7, so don't need to wake up the server itself - however, I have the media files on several external NAS boxes, that usually sleep. With latest dev build, that media will correctly be displayed as "offline". Once entering the detaisl view, there is no more "offline" indication, but only the "play" button. It would be nice to display the offline status of the media (e.g. instead of the play button) and a press on that button should wake up the NAS (maybe with a dialog to let the user confirm wakeup). The target name can easily be grabbed from the media path (\\<servername>>\share\...\media.xxx) - the only think that would need to be done is to store the MAC address somewhere at a time, when the NAS is online. Any plans to make that possible?

And one more question: While the media is shown as "offline" and when waking the NAS manually after that: Is there a possibility to refresh the status from the GUI other than do a library refresh? (Would be nice, if the server would notice itself when the respective server comes online and set the media to online when that event is triggered)

In truth we've coded this but it's testing has been more along the lines of lab testing versus out in the real world. It doesn't work for everyone so at some point we need to take the time to understand why.

MikePlanet

Hi Luke, if you drop one sentence how it is supposed to work and maybe a hint to the code area, I can test and have a look at it - can't do anything within the GUI, but should be able to check C# side of the server... 

MikePlanet

So WOL is always handled on client side? Why not implement it on server side, at least for the external media storage pathes? That would allow any client to use that with a simple API call to the server and getting response about result!?

MikePlanet

Ah, so I misunderstood your former comment about implementation. However, what do you think about my suggestion for handling wakeup for remote storage? If we find an agreement about the concept, it should be relatively easy to implement, but we should be clear about the expected work flow on the client side and a possible API extension.

i want to see the current wake on lan perfected before expanding on it with more features to wake other devices, and right now it's not perfected as it seems only handle the simplest of cases

• 1 year later...
El Muchacho

The WOL-part is still not working ...
Emby only needs to send a magic packet to the NAS in order to wake it up.
Think, best places for configuring this will be  the "New Server" dialog and/or the "Server Settings".
MAC address can be grabbed and used for a WOL MagicPacket, if the server is not reachable at EmbyApp start.

The WOL-part is still not working ...

Emby only needs to send a magic packet to the NAS in order to wake it up.

Think, best places for configuring this will be  the "New Server" dialog and/or the "Server Settings".

MAC address can be grabbed and used for a WOL MagicPacket, if the server is not reachable at EmbyApp start.

We are already doing that but, as Luke mentioned above, it doesn't appear to be that simple on all platforms.