Nvidia Shield vs. HTPC w/ Emby Theater

pclausen

HD Audio streams include a "core" component.  I imagine this is what VLC is playing with those items.

Cinema mode is respected for all playback at this time.

foghat

HD Audio streams include a "core" component.  I imagine this is what VLC is playing with those items.

Cinema mode is respected for all playback at this time.

I know in make mkv you can unselect the 'core' component and only do the hd audio, which I do.  Maybe even with this unselected, by way of ripping  the hd audio, you are always getting the core?  Though I would have thought it would have shown as DTS on the receiver if that were the case, as pelon above is seeing.  Next movie I rip I will include the core and see if there is any difference.

Any chance in getting a 'skip cinema mode' option for playback?

Pelon is using Kodi which is a custom player that is passing the compressed and still encoded stream to the receiver.

VLC decodes DTS itself and sends the uncompressed result to your receiver as multi-channel PCM.

I have been using the Shield 2.0, with the latest version of Kodi and the Emby add in. Let me tell you, that it is a beast, it has played everything that I trow at it, and it is doing it pass-trough. Actually if i try to change the volume (sometimes by mistake) it does a wierd noice and then it says on the screen that it is using pass trough audio. The receiver does show either DTS/DD, even when the video is encoded using HD audio. It also plays H265 without any issues. It definitely can replace an HTPC, it can play any video format, live TV, recordings and all of my media library. Plus it has the Android apps, so there is Netflix, and any other video service.

I also assume that this is way more power efficient.

I don't see any reason to have an HTPC, unless it is the same as the server or you are doing some video post processing like some of the advance features od Emby Theater 

Can you please tell me how Emby/Kodi is set up? 

I have the following problem with Emby for Android on the Shield;

DolbyDigital 5.1 TV-shows, movies and Apple trailers have audio sync problem, but receiver shows Dolby Digital (flashes sometimes like it is too high bandwith and does not get data fast enough).

DTS are played as PCM on my Receiver.

AAC(flac) stereo is not a problem as I can see, is played as Stereo.

Some Apple trailers (downloaded) are transcoded.

Kodi (with Emby addon):

DolbyDigital 5.1 is pass-through, get the volume adjust noise.
AAC(flac) stereo is not passthrough, volum can be adjusted.
DTS are played as PCM on my Receiver, not passthrough, volum can be adjusted.

Have not been able to try out MX Player or VLC due to not able to find/browse the files on the Emby server, does not have local media right now.

Pelon is using Kodi which is a custom player that is passing the compressed and still encoded stream to the receiver.

VLC decodes DTS itself and sends the uncompressed result to your receiver as multi-channel PCM.

Got it.  thx.

Can you please tell me how Emby/Kodi is set up? 

I have the following problem with Emby for Android on the Shield;

DolbyDigital 5.1 TV-shows, movies and Apple trailers have audio sync problem, but receiver shows Dolby Digital (flashes sometimes like it is too high bandwith and does not get data fast enough).

AAC(flac) stereo is not a problem as I can see, is played as Stereo.

Some Apple trailers (downloaded) are transcoded.

Kodi (with Emby addon):

DolbyDigital 5.1 is pass-through, get the volume adjust noise.
AAC(flac) stereo is not passthrough, volum can be adjusted.
DTS are played as PCM on my Receiver, not passthrough, volum can be adjusted.

Have not been able to try out MX Player or VLC due to not able to find/browse the files on the Emby server, does not have local media right now.

I were able to find Expert settings in Kodi, so now DTS is passthrough :)

Why is that a problem?

Good question. For me, since I do NOT have very good knowledge of audio devices, I prefer it to tell me what it is receiving and playing. I do not know if the quality is any different.

What sadly is FAR worse is the fact that my Emby on the Shield is not able to play DD in sync, no idea why, and would love someone to tell me if there is something I need to do. It is 'out of the box', so cannot understand I have done something wrong.

BTW REALLY like the Emby for Android TV, I hope I get it to work, and the client continue to get better  :)

CBers

Why is that a problem?

The receivers expect to receive DTS/DD and not PCM.

They need the raw audio, not pre-processed by the app/device.

what Ebr is saying is that at some point the digital audio stream is broken down into analog pcm whether you realize it or not. Is there actually a difference in the receiver performing that function vs. the video player? you can find years of debate on that subject with some quick google searches. unfortunately for the vast majority of users perception is often more important than reality, and emby users are not immune to that. So if they see dts-hd ma on their receiver it is going to make them feel better, and that is why it is in our best interests to ultimately support the feature, even though the end result sent to the speaker is most likely identical. 

Deathsquirrel

what Ebr is saying is that at some point the digital audio stream is broken down into analog pcm whether you realize it or not. Is there actually a difference in the receiver performing that function vs. the video player? you can find years of debate on that subject with some quick google searches. unfortunately for the vast majority of users perception is often more important than reality, and emby users are not immune to that. So if they see dts-hd ma on their receiver it is going to make them feel better, and that is why it is in our best interests to ultimately support the feature, even though the end result sent to the speaker is most likely identical. 

It very likely makes no difference but as I paid for a nice receiver to do my audio decoding I prefer it do that chore and all audio be passthrough until it hits that point.  That's my ideal.  Of course I also really want to use an xbox one as my primary playback device since everything else we watch is through that device and it definitely wants to process all audio itself...so I'm not getting my perfect solution no matter what :)

Well I also prefer it just from the standpoint of leaving the audio in it's purest form for as long as possible. But I also realize that the end result is most likely the same anyway.

The early Hi-Def discs actually contained raw LPCM tracks for true audiophiles because that was pure, uncompressed audio as opposed to DTS/DD which are compression formats.

I know people off the street want to see the light on their receiver and the display say "DTS" but PCM is the raw digital format that is decoded to.  It is just a matter of where the decoding is happening.

• Like 1

CBers

It is just a matter of where the decoding is happening.

So to get that, we need pass-through to work??

Good question. For me, since I do NOT have very good knowledge of audio devices, I prefer it to tell me what it is receiving and playing. I do not know if the quality is any different.

What sadly is FAR worse is the fact that my Emby on the Shield is not able to play DD in sync, no idea why, and would love someone to tell me if there is something I need to do. It is 'out of the box', so cannot understand I have done something wrong.

BTW REALLY like the Emby for Android TV, I hope I get it to work, and the client continue to get better  :)

Am I the only one with this Dolby Digital out-of-sync problem?..

Other then that; I really like Emby for Android TV so far  :)

You are the only one I've seen report it and I don't have this problem (but I don't have a Shield either).

I only have dolby digital on my ripped dvds.  I gave a couple a try and no problem passing through and sounds/voices are not out of sync.

Or Dolby D.

Yes, you need pass-thru to get the display on your receiver to say something like "DTS".  You don't need it to get full 5.1 sound (except in your case which appears to be because you are going through a TV to a sound bar that only supports DD or Stereo PCM).

CBers

Yes, you need pass-thru to get the display on your receiver to say something like "DTS".  You don't need it to get full 5.1 sound (except in your case which appears to be because you are going through a TV to a sound bar that only supports DD or Stereo PCM).

It's only the Emby app that is not doing it.

The Samsung Smart TV app and Kodi both do it OK.

Since it may look that the Dolby Digital out-of-sync problem I am having may be uncommon, anyone got any idea what can cause this? There isnt much I can have messed up in the Emby Android TV app is there?

Kodi now works flawless as far as I know, except as I said for a Ultron trailer it is not able to render image for, only audio. Btw Emby is able to render this trailer.

The early Hi-Def discs actually contained raw LPCM tracks for true audiophiles because that was pure, uncompressed audio as opposed to DTS/DD which are compression formats.

I know people off the street want to see the light on their receiver and the display say "DTS" but PCM is the raw digital format that is decoded to.  It is just a matter of where the decoding is happening.

So to this point: in the app's current state, will HD audio get decoded to pcm in such a way that there is no perceptible difference in quality?  Or, as it stands today, is this only the case for regular DD and DTS tracks and HD Audio is getting 'down converted' to DD or DTS equivalent?

HD audio is not supported on any of these boxes at this point in time (to my knowledge).  So, what you will get is the "core" component of that audio.

Even if the Shield 2.0 update does enable pass-thru of the HD audio codecs, we will also need VLC to support that on the Android platform as well (or we'd have to come up with some other playback solution that also offers us direct playback of all these formats as well as the audio pass-thru) and I'm afraid I cannot tell you when that will happen.

So to this point: in the app's current state, will HD audio get decoded to pcm in such a way that there is no perceptible difference in quality?  Or, as it stands today, is this only the case for regular DD and DTS tracks and HD Audio is getting 'down converted' to DD or DTS equivalent?

No there isn't. Just watch your movie and enjoy.