Question about port forwarding

all4dom

all4dom

Hi, just hope someone can answer this question for me. If I enable port forwarding to use MB over the internet (when away from home), how can I secure it or am I ok. I run the server and mb classic on my HTPC, but my media is stored on a server. I don't have a password enabled for the server and classic on my HTPC. Want to do this, but also be safe. or somewhat safe.

Thanks

Dom

For the most part, if security is a big concern for you, you should separate the resources you need to protect from those you expose to the internet. In my personal opinion, exposing one port isn't a huge issue for my media system. That said, I'm not storing my bank info with my TV shows. If you have data to protect, set that password for your server, or encrypt your important stuff with a password in its own vault app.

The best thing you can do otherwise is to make the port forward rule, but only turn it on (most firewalls have an enable checkbox) when you know you want outside access, or set a good password on your firewall and allow WAN management, so you can turn the rule on on the go.

Hope that helps.

jayTcold

I have port forwarding open on my router through to the IP address of my server where MB3 server is running.

A good friend on mine, who's an Information Security guy, specifically an application penetration tester, banged against the public IP addy of my router.

He "found", so to speak, TCP/UDP 8096 open on my router, however he was not able to:

(1) Glean the internal IP addy that I have MB3 Server listening on

(2) Logon to MB3, or find username/password hashes, etc. (I have really long, complicated usernames and passwords for MB3, so that may have helped)

Also, totally as Sundog mentioned, if you're only storing media related data on the system upon which MB3 is running, you should be okay.