Remote client bitrate setting

bmoses

I'm not sure if this is an issue or just lack of understanding of this setting.

on the server under playback|streaming|remote client bitrate -> if i set this to anything but "0" (which i assume means disabled or unlimited) while watching anything on my android phone, at home connected to my wifi, it causes the stream to be transcoded instead of direct streaming.

so for example, i was playing the avengers movie testing out stuff with the subtitles. if i have the above setting set to 0 then it direct streams. if i changed it to anything else (i used 10 and 15 in my testing) then it caused the movie to transcode. from the way the setting is worded i would assume it should only come into play if i'm not at home on the same network as my server, but if i am then it should be ignored.

Your correct, it should only come into play away from home. Was the phone using the mobile connection by any chance? Also the determination is made by comparing source and destination ip addresses. i'll have to add more logging into the server so that we can see what it's comparing in your case.

Your correct, it should only come into play away from home. Was the phone using the mobile connection by any chance? Also the determination is made by comparing source and destination ip addresses. i'll have to add more logging into the server so that we can see what it's comparing in your case.

Was definitely using WiFi and not the mobile connection. I was initially connected to my 2.4ghz ssid and thought maybe that was the issue so I changed over to the 5ghz ssid and it was still transcoding. According to my phone the IP address it has matches up with the IP of the rest of the network and the IP of the server which are 192.168.0.X

I found something. I decided to select my server again as I wasn't connected to it through emby connect, just directly. But when my server showed up in the list it had my external web address for the server as the address. I played the movie again which was still transcoding and then went to select server again. This time it was listed with the internal IP address of the server. After selecting it this time I was able to direct stream the movie while still having the remote client bitrate set.

So I think it was the phone app that was seeing the server as remote still when it was really on the local network.

well that shouldn't matter because what matters is the ip address of the incoming http request reported by the server. even if your phone app is talking to emby server over the external address, as long as it's connected to your wifi network it should be fine. we will just have to wait and see with the next version what the logging tells us.

well that shouldn't matter because what matters is the ip address of the incoming http request reported by the server. even if your phone app is talking to emby server over the external address, as long as it's connected to your wifi network it should be fine. we will just have to wait and see with the next version what the logging tells us.

i know you need logging for this but i noticed this and wanted to pass it along. i'm at home right now, connected to wifi on my phone with an ip address of 192.168.0.100. When i connected to my server it showed this when i connected

android_emby.jpg

i then tested playing something with the remote bitrate set to 15 and it was transcoding playing to my phone.

Edit: forgot to add, the ip address listed in the screenshot is my current external IP address.

Edited by bmoses