Possible to use Plex as front-end, Emby as transcoder?

ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim

Probably a very stupid question, but I had to ask it. I love how fast and almost flawlessly Emby transcodes/streams videos compared to Plex (not to mention a much lower CPU load), but I also love the Plex UI.

Any thoughts on ways to combine the two?

Very interesting.  I'd say most of the feedback we receive is the opposite (although our transcoding is improving with every release).

ryanjoachim

This is all anecdotal, of course, but I have a lot of issues with the Android app and a few server-side features (subtitles, resume, for example).

The app won't connect to my Chromecast 7/10 times without going through the process of closing the app/reopening, or turning off wifi on my phone and back on again.

The app won't take control over the Chromecast 9/10 times if another app is currently running (Plex, Netflix, etc). I have to manually disconnect the app on the Chromecast first.

The app won't connect to my TV to stream via DLNA 8/10 time.

Subtitles timing (srt) is always off. I have them set to automatically download, so I suppose the wrong version could be downloading...but I haven't had one work yet in a library of around 600 movies.

Resume doesn't work in the app unless I go all the way back to the main menu, and then back into the movie screen. If I don't go back first, it prompts me to resume but then just restarts the movie from the beginning (but the time code on the app actually shows it at the "resumed" time, and still counting up from there).

I haven't had the time to sit and create/go through logs for these issues myself, which is why I haven't mentioned them in the forums yet. It very well could just be an issue with my device (Note 4) and my network/Chromecast, but the Plex app is just about flawless for what it is supposed to do.

I really like Emby, but I only use the App + Chromecast portion of it, and while I don't mind working around some issues like I've been having, it seems like I'm having more problems than most others.

-------------------------------------------------------------

All those bad things being said, Emby transcodes so much better and smoother than Plex it's kind of crazy. I deal with the issues I have with Emby specifically for when I want to watch movies, because it's such a smooth viewing experience. I appreciate all the work you guys have to put in to have such a well-done product.

Edited by ryanjoachim
  • Like 1

For subtitles it could just be a problem with the downloads. One of the things we currently do is we always download the best match, when maybe what we should be doing is only downloading when open subtitles has an exact match for your video file. it's just a little tricky because that will cause other users to complain nothing is getting downloaded. 

as far as CC connection - sometimes it takes several seconds to connect. I do realize the app doesn't provide loading feedback during connection so that is area of opportunity for improvement. But I'm wondering if after a few seconds you're bailing out thinking that it's not working at all. On the latest version of the app it connects for me every single time, but sometimes does take several seconds.

ryanjoachim

The chromecast just doesn't connect. The icon in that app turns grey for several seconds, then goes back to the default white. I wait for upwards of 30 seconds before trying again, but it usually requires me to close the app all the way and re-open before it'll connect. 

Also, and maybe possibly related, when the movie is paused and the app is minimized, it won't reconnect to the movie when the app is brought back to the front. It is still connected to the Chromecast, but there's no way to hit Play or any other controls. If I try to resume the movie, it just starts it off a the beginning.

The app also likes to force close on me any time I'm casting a movie and let my screen go to sleep while the app is active. Once I unlock my phone, the app crashes. I sent in 2 reports tonight.

shorty1483

The chromecast just doesn't connect. The icon in that app turns grey for several seconds, then goes back to the default white. I wait for upwards of 30 seconds before trying again, but it usually requires me to close the app all the way and re-open before it'll connect. 

Also, and maybe possibly related, when the movie is paused and the app is minimized, it won't reconnect to the movie when the app is brought back to the front. It is still connected to the Chromecast, but there's no way to hit Play or any other controls. If I try to resume the movie, it just starts it off a the beginning.

The app also likes to force close on me any time I'm casting a movie and let my screen go to sleep while the app is active. Once I unlock my phone, the app crashes. I sent in 2 reports tonight.

Are you using the latest version from beta program? Your issues sound to me like the ones I had before the big app improvement in beta phase.

ryanjoachim

Are you using the latest version from beta program? Your issues sound to me like the ones I had before the big app improvement in beta phase.

I haven't tried the beta version yet. Where can I check it out at?

ryanjoachim

So far the only improvement I've seen is with subtitles. They seem to be much better with syncing now than before...however, there doesn't seem to be a way to actually turn them off if they're not working. Or am I just missing that?