[Suggestion] Switch to a (stable/beta/dev) release/repo cycle/structure

VladTepz

VladTepz

First off, love the addon :)  Props to everyone involved...

I'd like to suggest changing up the release structure a bit, as it is now, you have stable & beta(dev)...Stable get very infrequent updates while Beta gets frequent updates, but less stable, more DB resets, etc...

What are the thoughts about switching to a Stable/Beta/Dev structure?...

DEV - Basically what the Beta repo is now, frequent updates & added features. Great for those that need to be bleeding edge & don't mind testing & frequent updates/DB resets

BETA - Staging/Testing for Stable rep. Bug fix commits Only, (no new added features), after a week or so of testing & no bugs, (Beta is move to Stable, Dev to Beta, & the cycle repeats). Bug testing is more static & "Should" allow to squash specific bugs easier since it is a non-moving target - Great for those that want to help test, but want a slightly more stable environment.

Stable - After a week or so of bug free Beta testing, (Beta is move to Stable, Dev to Beta, & the cycle repeats) - Great for those that want the most stable environment & don't mind the less frequent updates. ( Though still more updates & new features than the current cycle.)

I hoped I explained this well enough to understand my thoughts ^_^  Again, just a suggestion, but I would think this kind of setup "should" be beneficial for users & devs equally...

Thx for reading,

-Vlad

Angelblue05

Not that it is a bad request, we've discussed this previously. The issue we faced was, maintaining three versions, when there's not many people reporting issues or giving feedback on newly introduced features. It was easier to split people in two groups, stable and beta, since I can basically count on my hand the number of people actually taking the time to reporting issues, etc.

If it was a bigger project, I would completely agree with you. We didn't want to rush stable, because we still are defining our structure and wanted to avoid having people using stable and needing to reset their library every cycle.

VladTepz

Not that it is a bad request, we've discussed this previously. The issue we faced was, maintaining three versions, when there's not many people reporting issues or giving feedback on newly introduced features. It was easier to split people in two groups, stable and beta, since I can basically count on my hand the number of people actually taking the time to reporting issues, etc.

If it was a bigger project, I would completely agree with you. We didn't want to rush stable, because we still are defining our structure and wanted to avoid having people using stable and needing to reset their library every cycle.

This makes sense.

The only counter I have, if you did switch to a Stable/Beta/Dev structure, you "may" entice more users currently using the Stable, to switch to the Beta & hopefully more bug reports/testers. Again, just speculation.

As it is now, you have most users on Stable. & few on Beta because I assume most stay away from constantly changing, perhaps unstable addon.(DEV)

I think more people would be incline to help test a more stable addon.(BETA) (Mostly stable, maybe a few bugs here & there, but have early access to the newest features). I fall into this category. ;)

Again, just food for thought...

-Vlad

xnappo

Trust us - we have had a LOT of conversations about this.  It is actually pretty hard as the ebb and flow of the project is quite inconsistent do to people's time and major breakthroughs..