A lot of questions in regards to :FlexRAID

Airbender

steve1977

From what I know, flexraid is one of its kind. Other pooling solutions will make a "real pool", while flexraid's way to pool, but still keep the individual disk structure intact is unique. Same for its flexraid technology.

Unraid forums are great. So if you are considering to ditch windows, I am sure there are many people around who can help you set it up. I know many people who are very happy with it.

Airbender

From what I know, flexraid is one of its kind. Other pooling solutions will make a "real pool", while flexraid's way to pool, but still keep the individual disk structure intact is unique. Same for its flexraid technology.

Unraid forums are great. So if you are considering to ditch windows, I am sure there are many people around who can help you set it up. I know many people who are very happy with it.

hi the problem is i am stuck and cant do much flexraid

Airbender

Hi

One drive and one backup parity drive after almost 4 hours it show 1% progress with speed of 0.93MBs

The data drive is 2TB only so i really dont know what is going on here

steve1977

Why you stuck with flexraid? From what I understand, you can just uninstall it. No harm remains. At least, that's good about it...

Airbender

Why you stuck with flexraid? From what I understand, you can just uninstall it. No harm remains. At least, that's good about it...

Hi yes but then i dont have an lternative option that run pirty and pool under windows a non command line based

and flexraid support sucks some even when i search their fourm for issue simller to mine i cant find it and no one is answering me in their fourm

the idea was to have protections and one pool of drives as i run into so many issue with windows having 10 drives under my computer

i am stuck because i am not able to move forward and it been 3 months since i was able to watch my shows and so on. it sucks to have so many issue that i can fix or it is not under my control

steve1977

Yes, you are right. There is no other good option. You may want to consider to do the same that I do - just not have parity and pooling. Few cases that it is really needed...

Airbender

Yes, you are right. There is no other good option. You may want to consider to do the same that I do - just not have parity and pooling. Few cases that it is really needed...

Steve1977 that what i use to do in the past but the problem is the OS get crupited and then i have to start over while i was searching thins thing i found storage spaces a Microsoft sloution built in to Windows 8.1 and server 2012 it allow Piraty and storage pooling no one is talking about it even though it is FREE so i am considering to re install the OS from windows 7 to Server 2012 and try it out and see how well it works http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/storage-spaces-pools i also found StableBit DrivePool it is $17 bucks but it seems it does the job but in different way here is there support email

StableBit DrivePool is definitely similar to FlexRAID but there are some serious differences.

First:
We don't use Parity. At all. We use duplication (redundancy). If duplication is enabled for a folder, it's contents are stored on two different drives.  This means that there is rebuilding from parity, and no downtime.  Once the disk is "removed" from the pool, it will be back to working 100%, and it will immediately start trying to duplicate the files that need it.

Second:
We use normal NTFS volumes. What that means, is that if the system disk fails, or you decide that you don't wish to use StableBit DrivePool anymore, you can access all the files normally, by browsing to them. 

The advantage to this approach is that the drives never need to be formatted, and you can add disks to the Pool that already have content on them.  This content isn't added automatically, but you can do that by hand (by moving the files into the hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder).

Third:
When you remove a disk from the Pool, it moves the files to other disks. It has a couple of options to "skip damaged files" (files that won't move or have other serious errors), and to "duplicate later" (meaning that it doesn't move the duplicated files off the disk, but immediately starts duplicating files as needed after the drive is removed, leaving content on the disks).

Forth:
StableBit DrivePool has a number of built in balancers that can be configured to control file placement, based on a variety of criteria. And a few additional/optional ones that you can download and install.

Fifth:
StableBit DrivePool integrates with our other product: StableBit Scanner. 
Specifically, it installs a Balancer for StableBit DrivePool. And this balancer will attempt to evacuate any drive that StableBit Scanner marks as damaged. Additionally, it can be configured to do the same if there are any SMART errors on the drive. And optionally, can be configured to avoid using any drive that has exceeded its rated temperature (as these disks are more likely to fail).

Also, StableBit DrivePool (and Scanner) comes with a fully featured 30 day trial. You can try it out and see if you like it. If you don't, then you can uninstall it.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

steve1977

Would not use either of the two alternatives. Once you go this route, it is tough to go back. I looked into it in detail and they will most likely not meet your requirements. They are a real raid/pool. so, you can never just to decide to go back to your individual drive model without major pain. If you need a backup, why don't you create a backup of one disk (where you have the most valuable things) and take the risk for less important things (like movies).

Airbender

Would not use either of the two alternatives. Once you go this route, it is tough to go back. I looked into it in detail and they will most likely not meet your requirements. They are a real raid/pool. so, you can never just to decide to go back to your individual drive model without major pain. If you need a backup, why don't you create a backup of one disk (where you have the most valuable things) and take the risk for less important things (like movies).

I consider that also but it is painfull to lose data again and again i delete already over 3TB worth of stuff that where less important and i have Crush Plan account with unlimited backup to their cloud but the upload of 24 TB will take forever mybe 10 years lol so i was thinking to get some protections for now and have one pool as alot of guys here and other fourms doing but funny part is none of them actually run into issue as i am not sure why i think the new copy of FliexRaid 2.0 might have an issue or the guy provide 21 days trial is not actually opning all feature and he is not been honest about it

Airbender

Hello

So the pc restarted by it self and raid was gone like nothing happened not sure where is the issue 

Airbender

Hi left pc over night and walk up so now i see raid completed but status bar only show process scan but not the metadata info , based on images of proper install that should not happen

also when i go to drive pool i get this error

Capture3.jpg

so not sure where is the issue and no one from flexraid is responding to my questions

Airbender

also when i installed Raid F i did not get a pop up like this one , could it be installation issue ? i did not make big deal becasuse most of doc where for older verion of Flexraid so i thought that could be normal but now i am wondering

02_10_CMD_en_Drivers.jpg

can anyone pls help

Airbender

Hi so finally on my own i was able to get F Raid kinda working but the drive show under removal drive

Capture5.jpg

so wired

Airbender

You can change it from removable if you want, the default in the pool settings is removable is set to true.

Oh got it thanks so now i am going to change it Thanks

Airbender

Hello

so now i was able to finish the Raid with Raid F , One Parity drive as i said 4TB brand New and One & 2 TB data drive with free space of 400 GB

So more issue

1- When i add network shares , i get permission denied when i \\ computer name \ directory from my laptop to shares ?
2- Parity drive which is 4TB show at lest 1.4 TB full so make me wonder if 24 TB will be able to be backup with just one drive ? or if i need to add a second Parity drive of 4TB that i am waiting for it to arrive from newegg.com

3- I am still seening some error when i try to check status so not sure if that is a fale alram or if it is just an issue ?

My next question is can i setup 2 configurations with same parity drive ? or just add rest of the drive and let it build ?

Airbender

1. you have to share it within the program not share the drive in windows.

2 you can use 1 drive but for that much data i'd use 2.

3. what error?

4. no you can not use the same parity drive for 2 configs.

see this guide http://assassinhtpcblog.com/server-flexraid/

Hello i did shares with Flexraid and not windows and as far error i will post screen shots here so you can see it and i am flowing assassins doc to T and still running into issue