Stuck "Active Recordings" + Several Failed

nsmal24

I am using Emby Server on Windows 7 (keeping Media Center for now).  I had been using ServerWMC w/ Emby for a while (HDHomeRun Prime) for Live TV recording/streaming.  When the integrated Live TV support was released, I jumped due to the travesty that is the WMC guide right now (Comcast Digital - Indiana).

For the most part, all is well; however, I am having two distinct problems.  

First, on several occasions, I have had a recording get stuck in the Active Recordings area.  The most recent was last night (FTWD).  I played back the recording, and it seems to be all there.  I tried several things including refreshing guide, updating library, and cleaning database.  None of these changed it's state.  While I'm on the subject, I have my server set to go to sleep.  Will an active recording keep the server awake and will a scheduled recording wake the computer (WMC did but I recognize that it is more tightly integrated with the system)?

The other issue is that some recordings just up and fail.  I realize that you probably need logs for this one, but I didn't know if there was a known fix or if it was already being addressed.  I never use more than 2 of my 3 tuners simultaneously.

I have been very impressed with everything MB/Emby has accomplished and look forward to what's to come.

• 3 weeks later...
Sam865

I also have occasional problems with recorded TV programs getting "stuck" in the Active Recordings category. If a program is truly being recorded at the present time, it should be tagged as an Active Recording. In this case the program will still play from the Emby browser interface. Sometimes programs that have been recorded for a day or two remain tagged as Active Recordings for no apparent reason. These will not play from the Emby browser interface. However, they will play if I navigate to the directory where they reside and use VLC player to play them. The contents of the directory don't appear to be any different from recorded programs that work correctly in Emby.

What causes programs to become "stuck" in an Active Recording state, and is there any way of correcting the problem and saving the recording other than manually converting the .ts file to a compressed .mkv or similar container? I know that including a log file is almost mandatory for solving problems such as these but, unfortunately I don't have any recent programs that are stuck.

Damstas

I'm having this issue with NPVR plugin aswell. Many shows will not complete and will stay active. Even though NPVR shows that the program has ended.

Sam865

My problem is not related to NPVR. I am not using any plugins (other than SchedulesDirect) with Emby server. Emby now has built-in native support for live TV and that includes the ability to schedule and record without a plugin.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I believe that there may an HKEY value that is stored in the Emby cache area and associated with each recording. If this key gets deleted (or becomes corrupt) before the recording finishes, the recording does not get marked as completed..Even though the recording may have been successfully stored in the correct location for a recorded TV series and can be opened and played by an external player (such as VLC), Emby doesn't recognize it as a completed recording and won't play it or make it available to DLNA clients,

So... at least in my case, this MAY be a problem with the end user messing with the cache area, and not with Emby. As long as the stuck recordings are an occasional occurrence I can learn to live with them.

The big inconvenience is that I can't find a simple way to cast or otherwise transfer a "stuck" recording that is stored in a high definition .ts-format container to a smart TV for viewing. The only options I have found are to watch the program on my PC or manually convert it to a much lower resolution file in .mkv format. (Once I do that, I can simply change the file extension to .m4v, drag the file to a Chrome browser and cast it to the TV.)