Kodi plugin Questions / Feature requests

runtimesandbox

runtimesandbox

A few feature requests for the plugin - may not be feasible but thought I'd through them out there. 

1) Build in a log out of kodi profile on x amount of inactivity feature.

For people with multi users on the same device, currently the only way (i have found) is to use kodi profiles. This works ok but I have had to install a screensaver which works as a log off after a set time period. This would work fine if you don't use emby. However, to have a reasonable logout time (ie 20 mins) and a large kodi library does not get on very well. 

Now my understanding is that when a kodi profile logs out, everything running on that profile should be terminated. (this may be a very inaccurate statement)

What i have found is that when a user is logged out and a kodi sync is running, the kodi sync appears to stop. When you sign the same (or a different user) in it then appears to continue syncing from where it got to before. There is no progress on this but on top of this a new sync starts from the beginning. Device has to be rebooted to fix the stuck sync.

Having a log off option built in to the emby plugin that understood the syncing status and knew that when a sync was running the profile shouldn't be logged off would be helpful.  

Alternatively: 

2) Someway to manage emby users in the plugin. Ie a login screen where you choose which user to login to emby that didn't require multiple kodi profiles.

I know this may seem a pain with entering passwords but you could have a remember me option that remembers passwords when you have logged in once - or there is always the Easy Pin Code.

The reason I think this would be a good idea is that currently each profile seems to sync its own copy of the database and the thumbnails - when you have multiple users this starts to take up a lot of space and seems like a lot of duplication. Wouldn't it make more sense to have one copy and then sync the selected users watched status / favorites etc upon login and any new changes from the emby server?

This may not be the case and may be me incorrectly setting up my devices. I don't know enough about how the workings of the plugin work so if these sound stupid please forgive me  :)

Also, I don't know if this is a bug or how the plugin has been designed but when I sync music with the emby plugin to a device with multiple kodi profiles, everything syncs fine. If i select the main "Music" option from the menu then it acts like I am not using emby and haven't added any music sources. 

This doesn't happen on a device with just one kodi profile 

Thanks for all your hard work devs, Emby has been the best solution I've come across with features I didn't even know i needed!

Angelblue05

1 - I don't really have an opinion since I would not use this particular feature. Let's see what people think. :)

2 - Just not possible. You should just need to enter the emby user password once. Isn't that the case? The only duplication happens for thumbnails. One database holds one user's playstate. This is the way Kodi works.

Music - Enable library mode for music in the side menu when you enter the menu section.

• Like 1

runtimesandbox

1 - I don't really have an opinion since I would not use this particular feature. Let's see what people think. :)

2 - Just not possible. You should just need to enter the emby user password once. Isn't that the case? The only duplication happens for thumbnails. One database holds one user's playstate. This is the way Kodi works.

Music - Enable library mode for music in the side menu when you enter the menu section.

Brilliant, thanks for your quick response Angelblue. 

The log off would be great if there is enough demand for it (I can't imagine i am the only one who uses multiple kodi profiles with emby) 

Relating to this, should the emby sync stop and quit properly when the account is automatically logged off or does it run out side of the profile?

Cheers  :)

Angelblue05

It should stop. I've yet to see it keep going when I switch profile. Next time it happens, could you grab a log, so I can see what the add-on is doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runtimesandbox

Here is a link to the log file with log set to debug for kodi and emby plugin

http://paste.osmc.io/zelusopego

Procedure used was turn logging on - set screensaver "logoff" time to 3 mins -  reset local kodi DB

Restart device. Login on profile "Josh" - wait for auto logout. Log back in - sync starts again. 

Here is video of the sync running on second login, with the stuck sync still showing. Interestingly stuck sync only shows up after emby "welcome message" appears (10 seconds delay after login before that happens)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Y5ZjAvxvQ

If DEBUG is to much I can re run with only INFO

Angelblue05

Well all I see in your logs is normal behavior. Your initial sync never completed, so it will keep retrying every time the profile is loaded until it can actually fully complete. So you need to ensure your profile stays active for the entire duration of the initial sync. Afterwards, it should behave correctly.

EMBY LibrarySync -> logMsg : Doing_Db_Sync: syncDatabase (Finished in: 0:03:00) False

Scott84Z28

+1 for the logout on idle.  Emby classic does this.  With Kodi though, I have just gotten used to logging myself out in the evenings so that Kodi is waiting and the user profile selection screen for the kids the next day.

• Like 1

runtimesandbox

yeah you need to let it finish that first sync and also might be a good idea to use the incremental sync to speed up the start up process, that should effectively solve your issue. 

Yep thats what I have been doing. Works well once the initial sync is done.

Edited by spudy12