Alpha / Beta testing strategy...

pagali

This is just a personal opinion, as a retired database programmer and current home theater aficionado... but it seems to me some users are complicating things for themselves way too much. Over and over I see posts about folks who installed the MB3 server, a client or 3, loaded all of them up with various plugins, themes, cover art, theme music, addons, tools... and then wondered why they had problems and how on earth to track them down. Isn't it more practical to install just the server, make sure it's working properly displaying your collection(s) in the web interface, then -- one at a time -- add a client or two and see how they work? Then if all seems stable for a few days, start adding the fun toys like themes and plugins.

I understand the appeal of seeing all the bells and whistles of fancy plugins and themes right off the bat, but folks need to remember that this is beta or even alpha software, and problems WILL occur! Why create so many complicated layers for ourselves and the developers to struggle through at this early stage? Get the plain vanilla core functionality working first.

• Like 16

^Replies 'bump' the thread back up to the top of the list, assuming folks have their forum set to 'show latest first' Without any replies, threads quickly get lost as they're pushed to later pages. I was hoping to inspire a bit of discussion, you see. :)