Movie not fully removed from database

Wob76

Hi All,

I have a strange one, I had the movie "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" in SD, decided to acquire a HD version, the old version was .avi and the new version is .mp4.

I deleted the old file and placed the new one in the same location.

After the Library updated I now see the new movie, and if I browse through my collection it is the only version I see. Same if I look in my metadata manager, only 1 version listed in the tree and it points to the .mp4 file.

But, if I do a search in the web interface for The Golden Age, I find 2 movies, one HD and one SD.

55f51ee440ae6_Elizabeth.jpg

If I go edit it shows me all the data, but it doesn't exist in the tree on the left.

The ID for both movies is different.

SD (avi) = id=90b85280de0527693afb7eebf47b4a77

HD (mp4) = id=b12f9260fc797f461e0d0e4fdb2f4b44

So, it is only showing in my search results, but it is still showing, obviously with the file deleted I can't play it. Should it be purged normally, what can I do to purge it now?

Thanks,

Wob

• Like 13

AdrianW

I've been seeing the same thing for a while. Nothing seems to tidy up old copies of movies. I have one movie that shows up three times when I do a name search for it.

At the very least, I'd expect the "Clean Database" task would tidy up this kind of thing. But, "Clean Database" can't be doing much, if anything, at all - it only runs for about 2 seconds.

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 1

I know that this happened if the original movie is in a collection. Upon adding a HD version you have to manually go to the collection, remove the SD version then add the HD version. Maybe something similar is happening?

I'm seeing the same thing with movies that don't belong to a collection.  Just random movies that I've watched and deleted, yet these "ghost" copies remain in the database.  Re-scanning library, cleaning database or restarting the server doesn't seem to work.

Deathsquirrel

It's not tied to collection.  I hadn't noticed as I don't often search, but this happens with the search results of movies whether they are in a collection or not.

Spaceboy

I've had similar troubles refreshing music metadata recently, the only thing that I have found works is deleting the library.db and letting it rebuild. It's a bit drastic but noting else worked

• Like 1

Well I'm glad I am not allow, same this has happened overnight to Entourage, upgraded from SD to HD and the old "ghost" still shows up in the search.

And a Clean Database doesn't do anything, nor a update Library. I have tried forcing both.

Edited by Wob76

I recently renamed my 500+ movie library using a 3rd party tool...when I checked everything out via the Metadata manager, it all looked good.  However, when I started searching for things via the web interface, I noticed that everything was duplicated (one "ghost" entry for the old name, and one "real" entry for the new name).  I ran out of ideas, so I just wiped all my databases and started from scratch.  The size of the library.db file went from ~120mb to ~52mb after the rebuild.  The fact that it's right around half the size tells me that the library is likely retaining this ghost information somehow (even though the metadata manager only shows the one version). 

AdrianW

I suggest everyone who's experiencing this problem "like" the first post. This will hopefully help bring it to the dev's attention.

• Like 1

shimmerknight

I seem to recall having this issue for the same reason.  I believe the problem was the nfo file.  It contained the original movie information and the new movie information.  I move the folder out of the monitored path and deleted the nfo file and move the folder back in.  The issue was resolved.  Perhaps this will work for you.

good luck.

I seem to recall having this issue for the same reason.  I believe the problem was the nfo file.  It contained the original movie information and the new movie information.  I move the folder out of the monitored path and deleted the nfo file and move the folder back in.  The issue was resolved.  Perhaps this will work for you.

good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion...but, in my case, I deleted all NFOs as well.  This even happens for movies I've deleted outright, so not only is the NFO gone, but so is the entire file folder itself....yet, the movie still shows up in Emby search via the web interface. 

AdrianW

I don't think it's the .nfo files - I use .xml files built by a third party tool, and I have Emby's fetcher turned off and I have the same issue.

Edited by AdrianW

Yes, I am seeing this too. Movies that I have replaced or deleted still show up in the search results even after rescans and running the clean database task. No remaining .nfo or .xml files, the entire folder containing the movie is deleted (and removed from the recycle bin).

Version 3.0.5724.3

altramarine

Exactly the same issue here.

I posted about it here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25487-ghost-folder-in-emby-search/?p=247852 and was directed to this thread

Windows 7 x64

Emby ver 3.0.5724.3

Chrome browser (Search feature does not work for me in either IE or Firefox)

Edited by altramarine

• 2 weeks later...
AgileHumor

When doing searches, the same items are coming up in triplicate from the PlayOn plugin.

How can I "reset" the search index to have it clear out the old data?

Also, can plugins indexing be optional?

AgileHumor

As of Version 3.0.5748.18045, and after a clean database and scan media:

1. I still get data from Twitch TV and Trailers plugin in search results...plugins that I haven't had for months.
  2. Some duplication (maybe because I have Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon video active in Playon...but trying to play these results gives me a "no compatible streams" message)
  3. No collections show (I have a collection/set for star wars but only individua)
  4. My local media buried under PlayOn (would prefer grouping my media to the top, but that is more of a FR).

For future improvements in search for consideration:

• Remove punctuation from index (or weight it very low).   It makes search not that useful when "Mission Impossible" gets 0 results, but "Mission: Impossible" (with colon) does.
  • I like that streamed media shows up in search results, but wish it was grouped with local media at top (which probably is better quality). 
  • Providing a breadcrumb location of where the media is in the plugin navigation (i.e. Netflix > Movies) and not just "Play On". 
  • Perhaps making indexing optional on a per plugin basis long term might be something to consider.

Thanks for working on the duplication issue.   BTW, is their a way to clear the search index and have it rebuild to start fresh?

post-424-0-10152800-1443372538_thumb.png

Edited by AgileHumor