What android TV box suits my need?

Nathanio

Nathanio

I must admit that android TV boxes aren't really part of my knowledge base and so I need so help please.

I currently use windows boxes everywhere but the ET app isn't great for live TV. I've been impressed with the android apps and use them on phone and tablet every day.

So it might make sense to try a box in our bed room or lounge.

So what one would work for me?

I'm looking for?

- wired Ethernet

- DTS / true HD pass thru to my amp

- 1080p mkv support

- Emby TV android support

- remote

Any suggestions? UK based btw

Either the Nexus Player or the Amazon Fire TV.

If you are an Amazon Prime user, then go for the Fire TV, otherwise the Nexus Player.

Both run the Android TV app just fine, as I have both devices.

The Nexus Player doesn't have an ethernet port, but I and many others use a USB to Ethernet adapter to get a wired connection.

I believe both do DD/DTS pass-through, although I have an issue with my Nexus Player connected to my Sonos PlayBar, but others have it working.

Hope that helps, but I'm sure others will have comments well.

The Fire TV - with our app - will not meet your audio requirements.  In fact, I think the only thing that will meet your audio requirements would be running Kodi on the Fire TV (although, I'm not even positive that will get you the full HD audio).  However, that won't get you the TV integration right now.

The Nexus Player can pass through DD and will decode the others to PCM (the same thing your receiver would do).

Nathanio

Thanks for the feedback. Is the HD audio due to hardware or software?

I am an Amazon prime member so access to the library would be good. I take it Netflix will work with either them?

jasonmcroy

I am using both the Nexus Player upstairs and the Nvidia Shield TV box downstairs. I have the Nexus wired to the ethernet with an adapter that plugs into the mini usb input as I don't like using Wifi if I can help it (Nividia has an ethernet plugin).

Personally I am happier with the Nvidia. The ONLY issue I have with any Android Box (aside from Fire TV) is the lack of an Amazon Prime app. They all have a Netflix app and Hulu (if you use that service). I have a PS3 in the living room on the shelf below the Nvidia and I can use that for the Amazon Prime needs. I do wish I had an "all in one" for my apps on the Nvidia as it is currently my favorite box. I haven't had any issues with it at all. 

Good luck!

Nathanio

Well I picked up a cheap Fire TV yesterday (just as they release the new one - great!) And so far so good. Missing a few key ingredients IMO. DTS pass thru and auto refresh rate switching the biggest two. Hopefully they'll rectify in the new one.

Live TV is working really well and hope that in the coming months that the Emby dev team manage to get life TV time shifting working and watch recording TV during recording. It's as close to a WMC replacement as I've found.

No nVidia shield in the UK yet. From what I understand that doesn't do refresh rate switching yet either.

Fingers crossed to to AFTV 4K addresses some of these features if like

Hi, I am glad I found this thread. Crimbo isn't far away and an android box is on my santy clause list. I see Ebay is littered with android boxes with remotes/keyboards etc. They also have optical audio and claim they are jailbroken. The make is MX (either Q or Pro) Does anyone have any experience with these. I have heard other people say they are great, but the kind of people who are getting some kind of picture and audio for free (so it's great). I want 5.1 audio from Emby and flac support among the other bells and whistles that an android box would offer. But Emby is the main objective and maybe some games (emulated classics mainly)

Any thoughts???

Personally, I would stay away from the android boxes on ebay.  My big reason for that is because I'm a netflix user and there are only 4 android based devices on the market that support anything but standard definition netflix (Nexus Player, Nvidia Shield, Razer Forge, Fire TV, & Fire TV Stick).

I believe both do DD/DTS pass-through, although I have an issue with my Nexus Player connected to my Sonos PlayBar, but others have it working.

Just an FYI, the Sonos Playbar does not support DTS, it was a huge deal over a the Sonos forums but Sonos eventually confirmed their Playbar will never support DTS audio.  Playbar requirements

Personally, I would stay away from the android boxes on ebay.  My big reason for that is because I'm a netflix user and there are only 4 android based devices on the market that support anything but standard definition netflix (Nexus Player, Nvidia Shield, Razer Forge, Fire TV, & Fire TV Stick).

I won't be using pay services, just a bit of hardware for emby really. I would rather something from a reputable source though but I do need an optical output as my amp doesn't have HDMI sound. I will have a look at the other suggestions though, thanks. 

you really should look on remix mini running remix 2.0. its cheap and have good codec support.

i tried ridicules many different players and remix op is a ton better than any other op for tv´s i tryde.

remix mini supports H/X265 (the codec)   mkv and mp4 is only containers so make sure you get one that also support h/X265 and not only the old h/X264

/Regards

Hi, I am glad I found this thread. Crimbo isn't far away and an android box is on my santy clause list. I see Ebay is littered with android boxes with remotes/keyboards etc. They also have optical audio and claim they are jailbroken. The make is MX (either Q or Pro) Does anyone have any experience with these. I have heard other people say they are great, but the kind of people who are getting some kind of picture and audio for free (so it's great). I want 5.1 audio from Emby and flac support among the other bells and whistles that an android box would offer. But Emby is the main objective and maybe some games (emulated classics mainly)

Any thoughts???

I believe those are the Matricom boxes, or clones of those boxes.  I actually have a Matricom Q Box on it's way to me now, so I will be testing it with their flavor of Kodi and the Emby plugin.

sneakers282

The Chinese android boxes running tablet Android are not great, very messy to control as unlike proper AndroidTV boxes which are built around a d-pad remote these are meant for touch input. A mouse and keyboard can work to control some tablet Android apps but it is not comfortable. Some provide a basic skin to the Android tablet home screen to use a basic d-pad remote with and some come with none at all.

Matricom are clones, they are all clones of a handful of reference designs from China.

As mentioned by others Android does not support dynamic switch to 1080p@23.976 or HD audio bit-streaming, Nvidia are aware of the demand for these and have stated they are under consideration for the official AndroidTV OS. By the way you can easily import to your country of choice Nvidia Shield set top boxes via eBay.

Some Chinese Android boxes have hacks for those two features but they must use their own custom version of Kodi. I've used quite a few of the Chinese Android boxes and would not recommend them, get the Nvidia Shield if you can for the proper emby client or kodi.

The Chinese android boxes running tablet Android are not great, very messy to control as unlike proper AndroidTV boxes which are built around a d-pad remote these are meant for touch input. A mouse and keyboard can work to control some tablet Android apps but it is not comfortable. Some provide a basic skin to the Android tablet home screen to use a basic d-pad remote with and some come with none at all.

Matricom are clones, they are all clones of a handful of reference designs from China.

As mentioned by others Android does not support dynamic switch to 1080p@23.976 or HD audio bit-streaming, Nvidia are aware of the demand for these and have stated they are under consideration for the official AndroidTV OS. By the way you can easily import to your country of choice Nvidia Shield set top boxes via eBay.

Some Chinese Android boxes have hacks for those two features but they must use their own custom version of Kodi. I've used quite a few of the Chinese Android boxes and would not recommend them, get the Nvidia Shield if you can for the proper emby client or kodi.

Honestly, at $260 (Shield + Remote) I think I'd just build myself a PicoPC...

sneakers282

A CuBox-i or R-Pi 2 are better for lowest cost + linux Openelec Kodi (with emby plugin), the quad core CuBox feels as good as a low end NUC.

If your getting an Android box for Android apps in addition to emby the official AndroidTV OS is far better even if the choice of apps is more limited. Plus if the good stuff like HD audio bit-streaming etc comes to AndroidTV it will be standardized because the OS is closed source and controlled by Google, which means even official tablet Android will probably never get those features.

The Shield is more expensive but it has plenty of power and official apps designed for use on a TV so it's a much slicker package then tablet based Android boxes.

It's weird Western Digital haven't jumped on AndroidTV they used to make a great little box (the WDTV Play) and would be at a cheaper price point than the Shield & compete better against the FireTV.

It astounds me at times how far behind tech can be, it's not as though 5.1 sound is a new thing, if I am going to need to spend 200+ quid I might as well wait until android TV catches up and then just buy a new TV. I had a feeling (after years of buying lemons) that an android box wouldn't be all that yet. Oh well the xbox one will do for now, though that doesn't bitstream either but I think you still get 5.1 if the source has it.

Thanks for the feedback, I had a feeling it was going that way, saved me 50 quid and some heartache.