Music tracks rating support

kyungrak

kyungrak

Hello,

right now with the latest emby addon beta, you can rate each song, but this info doesn't exist in the emby database. The rating stays within kodi database, so it is not shared with each kodi client through emby. Are there any plans to support that feature?

I find it convenient to quickly populate some smart playlists based on ratings while listening to music, so it would be nice to have those ratings shared across each client.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I'm new here (just making the switch from Kodi MySQL), and song ratings are one of the last things I need to tackle.

Could you elaborate a bit how to best transform my current ratings (either from Kodi DB or song tags) into Emby Favourites / Likes / Dislikes? I think I could live with this granularity, just don't know how to get there... emby does not seem to read the tags, or I can't find them.

Thanks a lot,

Michael

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
haileris

So I've just installed Emby to play around with, and so far pretty impressed with the movies piece.  Not so sure on the music experience yet - maybe I am just learning.  But one thing I really dont want to give up is the effort I put into tagging my music into 5 stars.  Personally I dont like the granularity of fave/like/dislike.  Shame (for me) if that isn't an option.

xnappo

So I've just installed Emby to play around with, and so far pretty impressed with the movies piece.  Not so sure on the music experience yet - maybe I am just learning.  But one thing I really dont want to give up is the effort I put into tagging my music into 5 stars.  Personally I dont like the granularity of fave/like/dislike.  Shame (for me) if that isn't an option.

Hah.  Good timing.  This is in the process of being added in the current beta.  I think it is about done @@marcelveldt?

marcelveldt

Yes, latest beta version of the Kodi addon will read your ratings directly from your songs ID3 tags. It will show the actual rating (0-5) in Kodi and will also "convert" it to the Emby style of like/dislike and favourites:

0 stars is emby dislike

1 stars is emby neutral

3 strars is emby like

5 stars is emby favourite

Hopefully someday this can be incoroprated in the emby server itself but for now it's fixed in Kodi.

browned

I am not sure 0 stars would be a dislike, perhaps that is the neutral point. The fact the song is in someones library suggests it is OK.

0 - Not terribly bad because it is in your library..

1 - OK, on an twice a year basis.

2 - Like, it every other month

3 - Good, twice a week

4 - Great, most days

5 - Fav, every day.

I would love a system that I can automate the ratings

- 1 Play = 0 star

- 3 Plays= 1 star

- 5 Plays = 2 star

- 10 Plays = 3 star

- 15 plays = 4 star

- 20 plays = 5 star

or whatever people choose to get the star ratings they want.

marcelveldt

I am not sure 0 stars would be a dislike, perhaps that is the neutral point. The fact the song is in someones library suggests it is OK.

0 - Not terribly bad because it is in your library..

1 - OK, on an twice a year basis.

2 - Like, it every other month

3 - Good, twice a week

4 - Great, most days

5 - Fav, every day.

I would love a system that I can automate the ratings

- 1 Play = 0 star

- 3 Plays= 1 star

- 5 Plays = 2 star

- 10 Plays = 3 star

- 15 plays = 4 star

- 20 plays = 5 star

or whatever people choose to get the star ratings they want.

Well, you should request that for the Emby server. The current implementation utilizes stuff that is already there server-side.

I think the best way would be if you can just have a custom (personal) rating for your items, just like Kodi is implementing now in Kodi 17.

Besides that you can have emby likes/dislikes/favourites but it will be different than the rating.

Maybe someday we can have something like this in Emby too :)

Edited by marcelveldt

xnappo

Yep - because some people, like DJs, will certainly have things in their collection they don't like :)

Hopsakee

Yes, latest beta version of the Kodi addon will read your ratings directly from your songs ID3 tags. It will show the actual rating (0-5) in Kodi and will also "convert" it to the Emby style of like/dislike and favourites:

0 stars is emby dislike

1 stars is emby neutral

3 strars is emby like

5 stars is emby favourite

Hopefully someday this can be incoroprated in the emby server itself but for now it's fixed in Kodi.

That's great news.

One question. What happens with my 2 and 4 star ratings. Will they be rounded up, or down or neglected?

haileris

I guess this is why these things are so hard; everyone has their own rating method when you have so many choices. :)  In my case, untagged is something I just havent got around to listening to (or maybe I didnt want to snap judge it!) How would this scenario be handled in the above?

Funnily enough, as I wrote the above I did question myself slightly; for example I'm not sure the wife rates Dead Kennedy songs quite as highly as I do as per the DJ angle, and hence I suppose I should ask the question are ratings help per user in Emby?

I'll be honest though - I still prefer the 0-5 stars, particularly coupled with auto playlists from the star ratings or per genre.

marcelveldt

I'll be honest though - I still prefer the 0-5 stars, particularly coupled with auto playlists from the star ratings or per genre.

The ID3 rating (in the file itself) has a value 0-5 and that is what's visible in Kodi.

That rating is translated into the Emby way of rating (at user level) with the likes/favourites and such.

Also when you update the rating in emby, that will be reflected to the ID3 rating in the file/kodi.

Maybe we (all users who prefer to have the music rating in emby) should create a general topic about this in the general emby server forum topic ? Discuss the ideal situation there and maybe myself or one of the server devs can get this thing come alive someday.

marcelveldt

That's great news.

One question. What happens with my 2 and 4 star ratings. Will they be rounded up, or down or neglected?

2 = neutral in emby (same as 1) but stays 2 in kodi and the file

4 = like in emby (same as 3) but stays 3 in kodi and the file

Can you still follow it ? :)

marcelveldt

For those interested, this is the conversion I used:

def getEmbyRatingFromKodiRating(rating):
    # Translation needed between Kodi/ID3 rating and emby likes/favourites:
    # 3+ rating in ID3 = emby like
    # 5+ rating in ID3 = emby favourite
    # rating 0 = emby dislike
    # rating 1-2 = emby no likes or dislikes (returns 1 in results)
    favourite = False
    deletelike = False
    like = False
    if (rating >= 3): like = True
    if (rating == 0): like = False
    if (rating == 1 or rating == 2): deletelike = True
    if (rating >= 5): favourite = True
    return(like, favourite, deletelike)

In which "deletelike" means it is neutral in emby (no like, no dislike)

browned

Well, you should request that for the Emby server. The current implementation utilizes stuff that is already there server-side.

I think the best way would be if you can just have a custom (personal) rating for your items, just like Kodi is implementing now in Kodi 17.

Besides that you can have emby likes/dislikes/favourites but it will be different than the rating.

Maybe someday we can have something like this in Emby too :)

When it comes down to it, I suppose the best solution is just being able to actually change the rating from within all Emby clients, if that means waiting on Kodi then so be it. I used to be exclusively Media Center and it had a lot of pitfalls but it had some elegant solutions as well. while playing music pressing 1-5 to change the music star rating was one great feature. Obviously on a 6 button remote there would have to be another way of doing it perhaps via a side panel or the OSD. What we have is progress, if Emby moves to 1-5 star ratings then great. If not, then great at least it has something and development is happening.

marcelveldt

When it comes down to it, I suppose the best solution is just being able to actually change the rating from within all Emby clients, if that means waiting on Kodi then so be it. I used to be exclusively Media Center and it had a lot of pitfalls but it had some elegant solutions as well. while playing music pressing 1-5 to change the music star rating was one great feature. Obviously on a 6 button remote there would have to be another way of doing it perhaps via a side panel or the OSD. What we have is progress, if Emby moves to 1-5 star ratings then great. If not, then great at least it has something and development is happening.

I've also added a context menu for Emby so you can set the rating from there.

Also notice that in Kodi you can press pageup/pagedown to adjust the song rating while playing music

• Like 1

haileris

The ID3 rating (in the file itself) has a value 0-5 and that is what's visible in Kodi.

That rating is translated into the Emby way of rating (at user level) with the likes/favourites and such.

Also when you update the rating in emby, that will be reflected to the ID3 rating in the file/kodi.

Maybe we (all users who prefer to have the music rating in emby) should create a general topic about this in the general emby server forum topic ? Discuss the ideal situation there and maybe myself or one of the server devs can get this thing come alive someday.

I've not really used Kodi for my internal media centre services, still got Win8 + WMC. Thanks for the replies and advice; I'll create a topic tomorrow.  As browned said above, I found the media centre method of tagging very intuitive.