Emby Server TV Guide

tman

So, I'm running the latest stable Emby server, and have a new HDHomerun4 Connect sitting on the LAN. Emby picked it up straight away (great), and it does work, but the lack of a guide is going to be a problem. I'm not going to sign up to Schedules Direct (which seems to be US/Canada only from what I can tell), so need another way of getting guide data, but I want to keep all this running on my WHS2011 server. I'd want that to download the guide data, and feed it into Emby Server.I don't have a DVB tuner in the server either, so OTA guide collection is not an option.

I tried ServerWMC but I didn't have much luck with it (kept crashing), and that would rely on my WMC HTPC being online. Emby Server has plenty of TV plugins, so would any of them work if installed on the server, just to scrape guide data and get it into Emby server's TV Guide. I know the devs are working on alternative guide options, but it would be useful to know if there are any other choices right now.

Latchmor

Just in case you want to test - Schedules Direct is no longer just US/Canada, I'm UK and have been testing it with a free 90 day trial. I'm still helping SD 'tweak' the channel lineup but it's looking quite good so far.

Cheers

• Like 1

Just in case you want to test - Schedules Direct is no longer just US/Canada, I'm UK and have been testing it with a free 90 day trial. I'm still helping SD 'tweak' the channel lineup but it's looking quite good so far.

Cheers

Can this be used with traditional PCI Sat cards and Live TV?

mediacowboy

Can this be used with traditional PCI Sat cards and Live TV?

Not at this time. It has to be a DLNA enabled HDHomeRun Tuner. 

Cheers

Sorry if i'm just being silly and missing something really obvious but when i am trying to sign up to schedules direct there is no option for the UK.

How did you get it to work?

Thanks in advance

Latchmor

Sorry if i'm just being silly and missing something really obvious but when i am trying to sign up to schedules direct there is no option for the UK.

How did you get it to work?

Thanks in advance

You're not being silly it's not obvious yet. I was in touch with a SD employee on these forums.

When you sign up just select something like New York and NY 10001 for city, state and post code. Enter Emby for address. None of this part really matters, it just gets you an account. When you configure Emby that's where the lineup info comes from.

Cheers

• Like 1

You're not being silly it's not obvious yet. I was in touch with a SD employee on these forums.

When you sign up just select something like New York and NY 10001 for city, state and post code. Enter Emby for address. None of this part really matters, it just gets you an account. When you configure Emby that's where the lineup info comes from.

Cheers

Ok thanks, i shall give it a go!

I've just recently started using Emby and today received my HDHomeRun. I had a moment of panic when I thought that I wasn't going to be able to get any schedules working as I am in the UK but then I read this post and set up my Schedules Direct account as Latchmor has suggested. I have set it up with Emby with the lineup configured as "FreeSet - Northern Ireland" although I am not sure what the lineup is, is that related to the Suggestions page? The only thing I am seeing program info for is the Suggestions page - there is no scheduling info on the Guide/Channels pages. If I click on a suggested program that is on now, it plays the correct channel. And if I go to the guide and play a channel, it works ok but there is just no scheduling info to see for what is on now or next.

Any ideas? I have only set it up an hour ago, am I being impatient? 

Thanks.

Make sure the refresh guide task has completed and successfully (check the Scheduled Tasks page).  If it failed for some reason, post a log.

Thanks for the replies.

It did pick up some channels ok in the end, the scheduled tasks ran without problem. I think the main issue is that it is using the FreeSat guide data which means that it isn't picking up the SD channels below 100 and those it does match up are sometimes incorrect. For example, channel 110 is 4Seven HD but Emby sees this as BBC Alba - which is exactly what it is on FreeSat. Is there any way around this, can any of the metadata be edited to correct it?

Are there any plans to source schedule info from the airwaves? All of this information is freely available via Freeview but I am not familiar with the spec and whether it is available is enough countries to make it worth developing - or if it is easy to get, complete enough, etc. Just wondering!

Cheers.

I don't see that file anywhere, can you guide me? I'm new to Emby so am not familiar with it.

# cd /var/lib/emby-server/
/var/lib/emby-server
# find . -name "*.json" -print | wc -l
# find . -name "*.json" -print | egrep "line|up"

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Just tried signing up to the Schedules Direct free 7 day trial (had to lie about the location during signup, but hey!).

After setting my location to Great Britian and entering my UK ZIP code in Emby settings, I could see my Lineup options, but they only included satellite channels - Sky and Freesat. Doesn't look like OTA Freeview is available then, so back to square one.

Just tried signing up to the Schedules Direct free 7 day trial (had to lie about the location during signup, but hey!).

After setting my location to Great Britian and entering my UK ZIP code in Emby settings, I could see my Lineup options, but they only included satellite channels - Sky and Freesat. Doesn't look like OTA Freeview is available then, so back to square one.

i'm pretty sure it does actually. try punching in a shorter version of your zip code, i think that worked for someone else.

i'm pretty sure it does actually. try punching in a shorter version of your zip code, i think that worked for someone else.

Yip, I got it to work using the first part of my postcode (BT38).

rkulagow

If there's a generic way that UK folks can tell me what they use, then I'll implement it. The issue is that from an outsider's perspective it's variable; "W2" is valid in London, but you needed "BT38".

The postcode defines the TV region, there are regional variations for BBC channels and ITV (UTV in Northern Ireland, STV in Scotland) - BT* is the Northern Ireland / Ulster region. I am not familiar with what postcode maps to what region, but there are going to be a lot of them mapping to each region - it just so happens that everything BT* is the Ulster TV region but this won't be the case for London which will have a lot of postcodes covering it. Inputting the first part of the postcode seems to work so I guess that if it's the UK you'd need to ensure that only this part is used in the search - normally the two parts are separated with a space.

I am not sure exactly what you need to know, does this help? I don't know how SD uses the postcode, does it get sent upstream somewhere and you don't have control over the lookup?

rkulagow

Pretty much. If the submitted postal code is valid (but too long), then you may not get all results, and for a postal code that we don't already have I need to retrieve it from a master server. If I knew more about how things worked over there I could program logic that said "They put in W24, but that's really just W2." or "They put in BT38F6 but BT38 is what I need to process"

I should probably just take the postal code and start querying the master server and keep track of how many responses I got back, then reduce by one and try again, then return whichever variation had the most responses as "the" lineup.

I found this discussion on how postcodes are mapped to UK TV regions which illustrates that it isn't simple to work out. What would be easier is if people in the UK specify the actual region they want, per this list - since a postcode could border two or more TV regions they may wish to choose their preferred one anyway. In Emby at the minute we get a list of all the FreeSat regions, so just extend this to include all the FreeView regions as well. Would that work or does SD specifically have to have a postcode to map to a lineup?

Edited by ChrisD

rkulagow

Right now it's based on postal code. Let me investigate the other way since there are fewer regions than there are postal codes.

• 6 months later...
sanjaydevani

hey any one can tell me how to use live tv in india, i dont know i tried find on web but i dont think so i can use it in india, if anyone know how to please guide me

thanks

hey any one can tell me how to use live tv in india, i dont know i tried find on web but i dont think so i can use it in india, if anyone know how to please guide me

thanks

Hello and welcome. Take a look at our live tv wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Live%20TV

We support HD Homerun tuners. Our guide data won't cover India at the moment but you will at least be able to tune and play.