Reason for transcoding

marc_al

Hello,

I  have a video that is transcoding on my DLNA player (WD TV Live) and I don't know the reason (I have added DTS, and MP4). Even a DTS-ES and DTS-MA can be read if the device is DTS,  but it is reencoded.

It would be great to have a message in the log for the reason of the transcoding (such as Device doesn't support codec XXX so transcoding is necessary).

Perhaps even better (for the future, not very important) : A new page in the DLNA that says Transcoding because codec XXX is not accepted by the device. I can click on a link to add it directly it in the profile?

Thank you

Marc

• Like 1

Happy2Play

What WDTV version do you have?

Looks like it is transcoding for subtitles and DTS.

Stream #0:0 (h264) -> overlay:main (graph 0)

Stream #0:3 (pgssub) -> format (graph 0)

overlay (graph 0) -> Stream #0:0 (libx264)

Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> aac (native))

Important: WD does not support DTS technology on the original WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 1) or the WD TV Mini Media Player. However the WD TV Live Hub Media Center, WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, WD TV Live (WDBAAx0000NBK) HD Media Player and WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2) will play DTS audio in 2 channels without the need for an audio receiver that can decode the codec. While the original WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 1) does allow for DTS passthrough to an audio receiver, this feature is unsupported by WD and technical support cannot assist if you are unable to get this function to work.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3590/~/dts-support-for-all-wd-tv-models

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2698/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDQxNjQ5MjY3L3NpZC9hbVJ0alV2bQ%3D%3D

Hello,

Thank you for your time.

I have a WD TV Live that can converts the DTS to stereo internally so it can read the DTS.

I have other videos with subtitles that can play with the WD TV Live (and I think that there is no recompressing as the bitrate is "normal").

Another video with DTS is playing fine (and the video plays perfectly on a share).

Marc

shorty1483

Hello,

Thank you for your time.

I have a WD TV Live that can converts the DTS to stereo internally so it can read the DTS.

I have other videos with subtitles that can play with the WD TV Live (and I think that there is no recompressing as the bitrate is "normal").

Another video with DTS is playing fine (and the video plays perfectly on a share).

Marc

We have subs and subs. The pgs subs above are bitmap based ripped from e.g. Bluray and therefor need to be transcoded because just a hand full of players support it natively in containers like mkv. And your WD TV does not.

For the sound, you can try to add this in your DLNA profile and see what it does. But no guaranties cause I don't own the device:

<CodecProfile type="VideoAudio" codec="dca">
      <Conditions>
        <ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="AudioChannels" value="6" isRequired="true" />
      </Conditions>
    </CodecProfile>

Hello,

Thank you for your time.

I have made some tests and I have new informations :

1) I have made a new mkv of the MKV (by removing all subtitles tracks) and it played fine (letting the DTS) and having all for supported codec (so it is a problem with the subtitles).

2) I have changed the settings of the DLNA user and I have completely disabled the subtitles. Now the video with all subtitles works perfectly (no transcoding). I can even change the subtitle track  with the remote (so the subtitles are supported).

3) When accessing the file with a SMB share, the file plays perfectly (even the subtitles are seen and can be chosen).

After doing some tests, I have changed my profile to enable srt subs and pgssub subtitles and now it is fine.

Thank you again

Marc

Edited by marc_al