Stuttering video on some files

gillmacca

gillmacca

On some of my videos, I am getting a slight stuttering of the image using the internal MBT player. All other files are fine.

Gspot info on one of the problem files:

Video codec: avc1

Name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

Container: isom MP4 base Media v1 (ISO 14496-12:2003)

Recommended display: 720x404

Have LAV filters installed with default settings

Can supply more info if needed (don't know what info is required)

Can anyone suggest a fix for this? (File plays fine in MPC-HC, but would rather stick with the MBT player)

Have you tried Madvr ?

It solved the stutter I saw in MKV's

I don't now if it will work with ISO's, but its woth a try.

gillmacca

Sorry for the delay. Been busy with RL stuff.

Download madvr, but when double clicking on the install.bat file, it justs opens a cmd window

hifiaudio2

You should get a popup telling you that the codecs have been registered.  Then, go into the config settings of MBT that check to use madVR.  While a video is playing you should have a madVR icon that you can click to get to setting in your right taskbar area.

I also have some brief stuttering on some MKV files.  I don't get this stutter with other players that also use the LAV filters without madVR (my PC is not powerful enough).  Is there any way to track this down?

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to bump this, on my main HTPC I have no problems, but on my girlfriends laptop we get a lot of stuttering with MBT, not sure what the best fix would be for us. It's not a high end laptop or anything, but I don't recall having any problems playing anything with MB2.x

• Like 1

Is there anyone else still having this issue? It's made MB3 quite an inconvenience at times, since we are only able to watch media in the living room(main HTPC) and the room with the roku hooked up. We are unable to use it in the bedroom (where we use her laptop and MBT) since the stuttering video is quite bad most of the time...

Edited by pmac

gordonj

All my vids stutter through Theater.

installed madvr which helped a bit as vids were going out of sync but with madvr I'm seeing jerky picture quality.

vids fine if played in media player or in v2.

I have a Revo R3700.

normally I just install codecs until I hit on an efficient one. Am i right in thinking that will not help in 3?

is this a known issue for many?

id there a fix in the pipeline or am I scuppered?

hope not. Loving the new player. Should say that I am running server and client on same machine at the moment as my home server is 2003

I'm surprised there hasn't been any devs chime in on this yet, since it was originally mentioned over a month ago. I hope there's someone with some know-how looking into this! I'd love to have MBT working on other computers in the house

2BTSquared

Well... I think I can be added to the list. I haven't been a MBT user very long and have just recently noticed it while playing around with a DVD rip. From memory, I seem to recall that some videos have played ok with MBT. But this DVD rip (K-PAX, ripped with Handbrake, H.264, MKV container, normal profile in Handbrake, Auto passthrough for audio) stutters quite a bit (actually constantly - playback is not smooth at all). I'll have to take a closer look at it and compare the results between different video files (ones that memory tells me played back fine and others that don't) to see what's different. First thing that pops into my mind is the audio passthrough...

This issue is a problem on two of my machines (the MB server machine and a client).

EDIT:

Systems Specs for the MB Server:

CPU: Intel Core I7-4770K

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H

Memory: 8GB DDR3-1600

HDD: Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series 128GB

External HDD: Toshiba Canvio 3TB USB3.0

Graffics: Intel HD4600 intergrated

EDIT 2:

I initially thought the issue was a problem with hardware acceleration and have posted a seperate thread on that. I can say that I have played the same DVD rip with Mediaportal using the same LAV Video filter (with DXVA2 hardware acceleration enabled) used by MBT and get different results. The video plays back is smooth as butter in Mediaportal. Not so with MBT. 

Edited by t^2

An i7 should certainly rule out a lack of power.

I wondered if it might be possible to use the "play file type in a specific player" setting to use another player.

anyone done this? Will it work?

is it seamless or does the player open up in an ugly manner?

2BTSquared

An i7 should certainly rule out a lack of power.

I wondered if it might be possible to use the "play file type in a specific player" setting to use another player.

anyone done this? Will it work?

is it seamless or does the player open up in an ugly manner?

Yes I've done it. I've set up VLC as an external player. VLC will play the video fine. As a FYI - Mediaportal plays the video fine as well using the same LAV video filter that MBT uses.

Another note. If you have Theme Videos setup and you have an external player set (in this case VLC), then they get played in VLC, not as a backdrop, when you open the show to view it's info. So using an external player kills this functionality. Also, it appears that the "resume" functionality is lost when using an external player. So if you watch a part of show, leave, and come back to it later, your only option is to start at the beginning. To remove an external player setup you have to go into the config.xml and delete the entries for the external player. That worked fine, except that the "resume" feature doesn't display anymore (so now that's broke). 

Edit: Resume feature is now working for some reason. Don't know why it wasn't before - right after I reverted to the internal player. Perhaps I didn't let the video play long enough to activate it. 

Edited by t^2

External players are fine, but ideally, it'd be nice to get this issue sorted out internally. I've played 1080p videos just fine on some pretty low spec machines with MB2.x so I'd assume I should eventually be able to do the same with MB3 once the kinks get ironed out...

evangemeren

Ditto above ... I got my video playback problems solved by using VLC as an external player, but I would strongly prefer to be able to sue the default internal player.

I can confirm that installing VLC works very well.

There is a little flicker in the screen as it switches to the player but it makes the system useable while the problem is addressed.

Great system and appreciate all the hard work.

One question though, will that prevent the server from recording where you finished watching?

Haven't had a chance to test yet and will report back when I get the opportunity.

Experiencing the same problem.

Not on both my computers, but with the less capable one only.

Although Vids are ok if played in Media Player with same codecs on that computer.

Hopefully we get this sorted out. It is really annoying. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I am also having the same issues, I have my main htpc (core2duo) which plays fine in MBC and Theatre plays fine, but it does have a HD5450. But I have a iMac(core2duo) in the kitchen running boot camp into windows 7 and MBC plays all my mkvs perfectly but Media browser theatre wont play mkv without major stuttering. Only difference I can see is theatre uses LAV codec. I have sharkey codecs installed x64 on both machines.

not a big issue as I can still use MBC on the kitchen machine but would love to use theatre on both pcs.

any ideas or suggestions would be excellent.

Also this is on all mkv files as far as I can tell.

cheers all for you hard work its awesome.

Edited by dhallam

candybar213

I am getting this to on MBT have not pinpointed any file type yet but it show up on occasion.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Hi i sorted my issue on the imac, just changed hardware acceleration mode from DXVA2CopyBack to Quicksync and now plays perfect. I assume it was an issue with the HD 2600XT card in the imac not having enough steam.

My main living room htpc with a HD5400 has no issues on DXVA2CopyBack at all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Schroinx

Also an issue here on my Mac mini i5/intel 3000 graphics. Removed the hardware acceleration and it helps.

I have sharks codecs installed for WMP/MCE/MBC.

Should I install ReClock, Madvr and Xysubfilter?

pmac

Also an issue here on my Mac mini i5/intel 3000 graphics. Removed the hardware acceleration and it helps.

I have sharks codecs installed for WMP/MCE/MBC.

Should I install ReClock, Madvr and Xysubfilter?

I'd suggest uninstalling Shark and installing Lav. I'd also install xysubfilter, reclock and Made is personal preference only, and not a necessity. Edited by pmac

• 5 weeks later...
Gothic99

I have the same issue with mediabrowser3 Home Theatre. Playback fine on external player, but when using the embedded player, i cannot get a movie or tv show to play longer than 30 seconds. The video initially plays slow then it stutters to a halt after 30 seconds using the embedded player. The sound is OOS from the get go with the embedded player.

My system:

HP n54l AMD Turion II Neo Dual Core Processor 2.20 GHz

OS  WHS2011

WMP-HC with K-lite Codec pack

madVR

8gb ram KINGSTON 8GB 1333 DDR3 RAM SINGLE STICK KVR1333D3N9/8G DIM PC3 10600 CL9 240 PIN

ASUS raedon 5450 1gb silent (using HDMI output)

ASUS Xonar DGX soundcard (using optical/Toslink connection)

OCZ vertex2 hdd

WD red 3tb HDD x2

Samsung 46" LCD TV

I would love to get some feedback/help for this issue as I do not wish to use an external player at all.

Edited by Gothic99

• 3 weeks later...
Keldron

I was reading through this thread all excited since I get a lot of the same issues as are posted here. Then all the sudden I am at the end of the thread and no resolution has been posted, sadness.