Submitting the app to f-droid

driminicus

It looks like there's a proprietary submission process as opposed to just uploading an apk. I don't know that I'm going to be able to set aside time to look at that.

• 2 weeks later...
hieRoqu4aiw9

Yes please! One of the last reason I am still using Plex.​

​PS: For us users, the F-Droid submission process is what makes it so awesome. It ensures the open-source code has not been modified, as it's build by F-Droid from source (= apk = code).

Yes please! One of the last reason I am still using Plex.​

​PS: For us users, the F-Droid submission process is what makes it so awesome. It ensures the open-source code has not been modified, as it's build by F-Droid from source (= apk = code).

Sorry, but that statement doesn't make any sense at all. If you want to use another app because you think it is better, then fine, go use that app. But saying that you'd rather use a closed source app because an already open source app is not listed in your repository of choice makes no sense at all. We are making a strong effort to put Emby on as many platforms as we possibly can but at some point you have to be realistic and realize that we can only be in so many places at once. We also have features that are tied to being an Emby supporter. I'm not sure how that would fly with f-droid, and quite honestly, we're so busy with other new platforms like tvOS, Emby theater, windows 10, etc, that I don't see how we can even make time to look into that. So I'm not trying to say no here, just too many other things in line ahead of it.

hieRoqu4aiw9

Hi Luke

I am definitely not here to discuss open source vs. closed source or "privacy" vs. "usability" with you, I just wanted to second driminicus's request; and accept the priorities you/Emby has.

However, it indeed does make sense. Sadly, in 2015, we still often have the choice between open source or closed source which often means ideological vs. actually usable (personal opinion, I am NOT an ideological guy). To mention just a few examples:

- Linux vs. OSX/Windows

- LibreOffice vs. Microsoft Office

Viewing on Emby, one has the choice between Android with Google Play Services = Emby installable via Play Store or an AOSP based ROM that does not include the Play Services. The trade-off here is:

- Google collecting everything

vs.

- Limited set of installable applications

Plex DOES make the APK available via their forums, so you can install it on any AOSP based ROM. Sure, it is closed source –– but would you rather install one closed source app or run a closed source operating system just to install a few more applications (where only a small set is open source)? So...it's not about F-Droid for me but rather making the APK available directly.

It is a trade-off.

Edited by hieRoqu4aiw9

Also if the apk was made available elsewhere maybe it could have the added functionality of seeing the plugins/catalogue section which is disabled in the play store app

Edited by Vidman

Yea i think making the apk downloadable is fine. As far as f-droid though, I don't really have anything against it, just can't make time for it.

• 5 months later...
OpenSourceUser

As much as I'd love to see all three major appstores on the emby download page for android...

http://emby.media/emby-for-android-mobile.html

56e081739404c_fdroid.png

... could you at least add a direct link to the apk for now, please? :)

This shouldn't be to much of a hassle and makes it easy to install emby on devices that don't have google's playstore installed. Thank you ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
OpenSourceUser

That's great :) I could even install it on my Android-x86 machines with the appropriate apk :) Thanks again.

Well done. Thanks for reporting back. The only thing you won't have right now is update notifications so for now you ll just want to periodically redownload