[Pi2 Emby on Kodi] Only stream, no direct play

EricJan

Hi, just trying to get my Pi2 back running again. It now has today's OSMC, Kodi and the Emby addon beta 1.1.37. All works well, but on playback it seems that it automatically streams via HTTP instead of the direct play (the former xbmcb addon would do that if I recall correctly). 

I am not sure if I have missed a setting to this effect? On the addon settings I noticed a setting to force streaming (on the playback tab) but it doesn't really matter if it is selected or not. It streams no matter what. 

As far as I can check, the Kodi client has access to the files in the network (what is the proper way to check that anyway?) so I guess that is not the problem either. 

Where do I go wrong?

xnappo

Either your paths are not set right in Emby, you need path substitution, or you need to set a network password.

If you follow the directions in 'How to report a problem' I can probably tell you which of the three.

• Like 1

The log is here:  http://xbmclogs.com/piqnj75xw .

I noticed it mentioned cannot play direct and goes to stream. My guess is it has to do with network credentials, as it used to work in a previous version (haven't changed the rest of the setup). I entered the Samba credentials in the Emby addon settings, that doesn't seem to work. 

If I change the log type from info to debug, would it tell me why it cannot direct play?

Thanks for your help.

xnappo

In that log you have 'Play from HTTP' enabled - so I can't see the issue. Please disable it, then post a log again.  Note that in older versions, we would fallback to HTTP without telling you - so this was probably always happening but you didn't know it.

Thanks,

xnappo

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

So, here's the new log:  http://xbmclogs.com/p3r9i7mkp . I'm completely lost now. The interface still prompts me it is opening a stream though the log says direct play (if I am reading this correctly?). 

More importantly, today the OSMC updated itself and now the movies no longer stuttered during playback. Can't tell if the subtitles now also start automatically but I think they will. Seems like all that is left is a new message when starting a playback to get used to. 

Thank you anyway! Learned a lot in the process again!!

xnappo

Yeah, it looks like it is direct playing now.  That popup happens regardless if there is delay is Kodi starting playback.  Confusing that it says 'opening stream'.  You might turn off the logging and see if it goes away - the logging is using a ton of your CPU cycles, and it looks like you were starting playback while it was still syncing.

Make sure sure to install the 'incremental sync' addon to the server and turn it on in the addon to get faster startup syncs.

• Like 2